Graphics cards are now within 12% of MSRP

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: Great news for those looking to upgrade their graphics cards to the latest generation of products. Prices of GPUs in Germany and Austria have fallen to their lowest ever points of 12% (AMD) and 19% (Nvidia) above MSRP, a trend we're also seeing in other parts of the world.

The latest report from 3D Center, which has been collecting GPU price and availability data from German/Austrian retailers since January 2021, shows the average selling prices for the RTX 3000 series and Radeon RX 6000 line have both reached their lowest points.

Usually, anything selling over its MSRP isn't news to celebrate, but it feels like forever since graphics cards were this close to their recommended retail prices. Things were at their worst back in May last year, when the RDNA 2 cards were more than double MSRP and Ampere products were three times higher than they should have been. We've seen a steady decline in prices since December, reaching the current low yesterday.

And it's not just pricing that is improving. 3D Center has for the first time awarded every Nvidia card a 5/5 rating for availability. AMD, meanwhile, has three cards with this distinction—the 6900 XT, 6700 XT, and 6600 XT—and three others with 4/5. Only the Radeon 6800 has a 3-star availability rating.

News of graphics cards hitting a low comes at a welcome time, especially as we just heard that Ethereum's long-awaited move from proof-of-work to proof-of-stake will now arrive a few months after the previous June date. That could keep ETH high, but when the switch does happen, we should see graphics card prices and availability get even better, reaching the now-mythical MSRP (or lower) sometime this year.

Additionally, Nvidia recently announced its "Restocked and Reloaded" campaign with some great bargains on RTX 3000 GPUs, many of them close to MSRP.

The GPU market will get more interesting once Intel's desktop Arc graphic cards, the RTX 4000 series, and RDNA 3 get here in a few months. There's also the RDNA 2 refresh arriving this week, which, conversely, is reportedly already selling for way above MSRP.

Permalink to story.

We are not seeing this here, posting an example of 2 GPU's that hit their lowest price point in a year or so on or about 31 March 2022 and then within the next few days saw a 30 to 50 Euro price increase.

Prsumably, Miners bought w/e stock existed in minimum pricing on or about 31 March 2022, stock was consequently depleted, and price was immediately increased since Miners were buying in bulk again.

As to ETH, they have been saying the same thing about how ETH is gonna move to a PoS model since 2019. Since 2019, it's only a few months until ETH moves to a PoS model and it's now Q2 2022.

Are the Miners who are buying GPUs in bulk again fools? I think not.

vi1OdQL.jpg

Last edited:
12%? The 6800xt is still over $900 and the 6700xt is still over $600 for the vast majority of models. That's close to 50% over MSRP, not 12%.
Indeed, no idea where they got their numbers, there was a drop when the useless LHR cards launched. Otherwise the prices are still ridiculous especially that those cards are very old now and we're already overpriced at MSRP. Surprisingly few talked about this point, even praising the 3080 which had an MSRP of a Ti.

At my local MicroCenter:

3090Ti - they haven't budged, models that come in are still upwards of $300 over MSRP. They've been that way since the card launched 2/3/4 weeks ago. Not sure we'll ever see the prices change on these.

3090 - still around $1800-2000, haven't seen much change over the past months

3080Ti - some models are lower, at the $1300 spot, but most are still $400-500 over MSRP

3080 12GB - $1000-1300. These started out around $1500, so they've come down, but still have a long ways to go.

3080 10GB - these are far and few between since the 12GB launched. MC has 1 10GB model for sale, but it's priced at $1k. That's awful. Way over MSRP.

3070Ti - in the $750-800 range. Down, but still way too high.

3070 - Rare to see them now. I don't check MC every day, but I haven't seen one for a good month or more. If these aren't priced $600, then they're still way too high.

3060Ti - I'm not seeing these very often at my local MC. Not sure on prices.

3060 - prices are down some, but still $100+ over MSRP.

6900XT - a few models are almost MSRP, but others can still be upwards of $500+ over MSRP. Overall, this card has come down a lot. It used to be around $2k 6-8 months ago.

6800XT - Still high. Anywhere from 40-100% over MSRP

6800 - Still kind of a rare card to see, but they're like the 6800XT when it comes to pricing. Upwards of 40-100% MSRP.

6700XT - Outside of a couple of models, most are $570-650. A big drop from the almost $1100 8+ months back. Still a good $100-175 over MSRP.

6600XT - I don't recall what max price these hit, but they are currently $120-220 over MSRP.

Most prices for the mid ranged cards have dropped the most. The low end cards are still holding prices way too high over MSRP and aside from the 6900XT, the top end cards are still holding prices way over MSRP.

However, with the stock piling up in places maybe over the next couple of months we will finally see some (not all, but some) of these cards actually hit the original MSRP. In the end, that's just sad considering most of the cards were released 2+ years ago.

The curious case is that I've noticed that prices are stabilizing across peculiar battle lines that actually make more sense than MSRP: The 3050 is competing with the 6600 and while the 6600 mostly wins is not very clear cut and a step up, the 6600 xt is actually trading blows with the 3060 and again the 6600 xt mostly wins but not *all* games or is not clear cut and then the 3060 ti matches against the 6700 xt in lowest available price right now and the story repeats again.

So the AMD cards still look slightly ok while everything is slightly above MSRP but if it wasn't the case then they would be severely lacking (As it was called for by initial reviews btw)

I am buying after the prices are at least 20% lower then msrp

There's always the possibility that when the next gen launches and is horrifically overpriced and out of stock, people might swing back to the 30x0 series in hopes of getting some kind of upgrade that doesn't break their wallet. That means these cards may only hit MSRP levels and even go back up some.

There's always the possibility that when the next gen launches and is horrifically overpriced and out of stock, people might swing back to the 30x0 series in hopes of getting some kind of upgrade that doesn't break their wallet. That means these cards may only hit MSRP levels and even go back up some.
Still won't buy something that will cost higher then msrp after 2 years and in market that is driven from half brains like my self when I bought rtx 2080 and after 3 months they had a new model to offer in the same price ,no thanks , I will wait !!

12%? The 6800xt is still over $900 and the 6700xt is still over $600 for the vast majority of models. That's close to 50% over MSRP, not 12%.
Just like when they say the inflation will be "just" 7-8% when in fact it's 15% or more. This is part of the same agenda to keep the consumers calm, hopeful and excited for future consumption, pre-ordering, standing in queues, and all the exciting stuff one is expected to do for Corporate Commander.

Not where im looking, check for 3060ti's every morning and theyre sitting at 588.00 today, lowest is 500.00 and im not spending over msrp because then nvidia wins(like they havent already)

Why does everyone in the comments act like they have no job that pays money? :3

Not surprised if the prices will not go back to the MRP where they once were, times change.

I've been doing my own simple tracking over the last month and a half (just my eyeballs, a browser and an Excel spreadsheet). It looks like after a decent drop in March that prices have mostly stabilized for April.

There have been some small movement over the last week, but nothing like what is being reported here. Seems like it is taking forever for the good news elsewhere to makes its way to the US, assuming it will.
The lowest priced version of a GPU looks nice, but when you try to push that to the GPU population it just isn't happening.

Not where im looking, check for 3060ti's every morning and theyre sitting at 588.00 today, lowest is 500.00 and im not spending over msrp because then nvidia wins(like they havent already)

They are still over 850 euro where I live...used 1070ti's are over 300 euro...

News of graphics cards hitting a low comes at a welcome time, especially as we just heard that Ethereum's long-awaited move from proof-of-work to proof-of-stake will now arrive a few months after the previous June date. That could keep ETH high, but when the switch does happen, we should see graphics card prices and availability get even better, reaching the now-mythical MSRP (or lower) sometime this year.

When will Techspot stop perpetuating the myth of Etherium going POS... it's NEVER going to happen...

Here in Australia you can get 3070 Ti from Gigabyte or MSI for A$1099 which is 14.5% over MSRP of $A959.

AMD cards at least at higher end, didn't drop as much.

Most cards are nowhere near MSRP..

RTX 4000 series are coming in 4-6 months, so yeah, inventory cleaning before that happends.

There has been GPU stock for months by now. People are simply not buying them because of high pricing and because Ampere is a 2020 release. Pretty much all of the GPUs are more expensive NOW than they were on release...

I paid 699 for my 3080 and 499 for my 3070 on release. Got the 3080 one week after ordering and the 3070 the day after. Happy times.

I am ready for RTX 4070/4080 in Q3.

Back