Graphics driver causing GPU to over heat after every restart

toxiclum

So this problem occurred yesterday that little message popped saying the drivers had stopped working and from that point on wards my driver load is on 98% when-ether I restart my computer and I had to re-install the same drivers again to correct the problem. I'm using a gtx 680 and the latest nvidia drivers - 301.42 drivers, any help to remedy this situation would be nice.

I had problems with those drivers, as well, although the symptoms were different.

Did you use Driver Sweeper to clear out all trace of your previous drivers before installing 301.42? That sometimes helps prevent problematic driver conflicts. Is the 680 a new upgrade? Have you tried rolling back your drivers yet?

PS: You should also make sure that there is no accumulation of dust on the fans of your 680, just in case.

It's 100% software, as soon as I reinstall the same driver it goes back to normal. I think I messed up the DLL files on my computer -.-

I uninstalled them restart, installed. Selected the clean install in the installer itself, both didn't work.

Your 680 is a new card? I take it you did not experience the same problem with the drivers that came out of the box with the card? Is it possible to roll back the drivers? Perhaps a little more information will help the more tech savvy members arrive at a solution.

Having said that, if your card is new, then I would seriously consider having it RMA'ed.

I uninstalled them restart, installed. Selected the clean install in the installer itself, both didn't work.

Personally, I do not rely solely on "clean install" as provided by Nvidia. Although very useful, I've had problems using that feature by itself. I look at it more as an added measure. As a rule, I use Driver Sweeper and another cleaning utility to delete all trace of previous drivers prior to installation of new drivers. I usually run the software while my system is in safe mode. I even go so far as to manually delete old installation folders and the like when installing new drivers.

Driver Sweeper is available at the TS downloads section. The utility should be used with a good amount of caution, however, as its action does involve alterations to the registry. So make sure you know the risks involved should you decide to use it.

Good luck and I hope you resolve the issue soon. The GTX 680 is one heck of a good card!

Been using it for a month now, like I said happened yesterday the little error message in the tray popped up about the driver not working properly, I don't know if the dll file nvoglv32 (64) means anything to anyone but it may be the problem, I'll try driver sweeping and re-installing again.

Careful with Driver Sweeper, toxiclum. Be extra sure you investigate the items the utility is about to delete. It appears you already have a problematic dll file. I'm not sure, but the faulting module path you're getting may be pointing to a corrupt video driver. As far as I know, nvoglv32 (64) is a hidden Nvidia system file. Mine is in the System32 folder, I think.

Anyways, here are the steps I take when installing new drivers or replacing an improperly written driver:

1. Remove old driver.
2. Run driver sweeper in safe mode. ( I do this twice, but then I'm OC about these things. :D)
3. Reboot into normal mode.
4. Install fresh drivers (I always choose the "Clean Install" option) and reboot.

I recommend that you re-download the 301.42 installer from the Nvidia website. Don't use the copy you have on file on your hard disk.

Have you tried using Windows 7 driver verifier to correct the dll problem? I've had some success using that utility, but -- again -- you shouldn't be messing with these things if you don't have enough information about them yet. Proper removal and installation of the driver in question should be enough.

Also, have you considered using the driver that came with the 680? I eventually solved my problems with 301.42 by simply moving on to another driver -- and a beta version, at that.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.

PS: This is going to sound like a shot in the dark, but you might want to check your system for malware, just in case. Also, just to be clear, your GPU load cranks up to 98% just after restarting? D'you mean this happens before you pop open any apps? Sounds really strange, if that is the case. And what temps are you getting? Your thread title indicates overheating.

Sorry about all the questions and the editing. Just making sure everything I'm getting everything correctly.

Back