Graphics driver problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor_hv

I had my HDD dead and finally today I got a replacement...
So, my PC was not running for 10 days.
I have XFX Alpha Dog 8800GT 512MB
I installed Vista Ultimate 64bit SP1, and then I tried to install 178.13 geforce vista64bit drivers, and it took a very looong time so I ended the installation, restarted my PC and when it got into Windows, the display just went off, though PC was working.
I restarted it in Safe Mode, deleted the drivers and installed older ones, delivered on the XFX driver CD and when I booted Windows again, the same thing happened...
Then I went to safe mode, uninstalled drivers and deleted driver files from windows\system32\drivers, restarted computer and booted Vista normally, but it recognized Standard VGA Adapter.
I reinstalled XFX driver again and during the boot, I pressed F8 and choose the option of logged boot, and after it booted, the screen went blank again but then the picture got back in VGA resolution, and I changed it back to my native resolution... I ran few benchmarks and the card works as it should, but I'm afraid to turn off my computer again, not knowing will I be able to boot it again... :(
What could be wrong?
Is it up to drivers, card, system?

Well, it seems that everything is ok now, I rebooted the PC 3 times and had no problems.
I had this kind of experience once, when my Geforce2 died, it worked until you install drivers and then everything would stop, thank God, this time it's not the case... ;)

I've found in some cases that faulty Display Drivers must be fully cleaned out, and then install the new ones.

Here's some steps on how to do that:

1. Uninstall the drivers from Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel of Windows.
2. Restart the computer.
3. Run Driver Sweeper*, select the drivers that you have uninstalled and click Clean button.
4. Install the new drivers.

* For Windows Vista users, please run Driver Sweeper in administrator mode.
Right mouse click Driver Sweeper shortcut and click Run as administrator.

To download and install Driver Sweeper, please click HERE. (direct link)
Save DriverSweeper_1.5.5-setup-[Guru3D.com].exe file on the hard disk.
Run DriverSweeper_1.5.5-setup-[Guru3D.com].exe.

Anyway glad it's resolved. Thanks for the update too :grinthumb

I would have told you that but you had to learn!

If the driver loads then it is OK - if it doesn't then you have to get rid of it ALL!

'I pressed F8 and choose the option of logged boot' doesn't really help any since all you get is a LOG of the failure.

If it booted and ran, then it works!

Log says so.

If it failed - log says so!

It is like a politician!

:)

Well, I choose that option, hoping to see if the graphics driver was faulty, but I got the result of resolution going back to VGA, but then I changed it back and now it works... I even got 11500 on 3dmark 06 :)
anyway, thank you for your help, I hope I won't need it again for this problem ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back