Graphics errors on newly built pc.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

fimbles

Hey all..

A freind of mine just bought a pc out of the local paper for 250 pounds.
Its brand new and custom built..

The specs

Amd athlon 64 3000+
160 gb hard drive
Radeon 9800 256 mbit graphics card
512 mb of ddr ram.

The problem is after getting it home and trying it out.. i installed battlefield vietnam and when the actual game starts (after the frontend movie) the game runs on screen but is covered in lots of mixed up multi coulered lines and blocks???? so i quit the game and it quits and leaves me with these lines stuck on my desktop till reboot???

The pc runs perfect with no screen errors at all until i either try to run a game or play a movie.. which suggests to me the graphics card??

However using the ati control center, the little demo of the sports car where you can setup your prefs and it displays them works fine..

Any ideas on what this could be caused by would be ace.. could it be compatability problems?? will the radeon run with a 64 bit pro? would a knackered graphics card not be knackered all the time and not just for graphics intensive stuff?

Thanks in advance! :S

Alot of games don't run under x64. I've gave up on it.

EDIT
I don't think I understand. 64bit? The 9800 pro is 256bit. x64 drivers don't have CCC(last I downloaded them.) I would uninstall the drivers and download the new one.

Thanks for the reply..

However this also happens when playing movies ect...anything that seems to use the graphics cards power a bit.. Not just games..

If you could name a game that does run fine that would be great..

Ive got

World of warcraft
Battlefield 2
Halflife 2

thanks! :)

Hey.. just noticed the edit.. yeah i downloaded the newest drivers from ati yesterday..ccc seemed to work fine. even let me adjust settings for the card ect.. the game itself plays fine.. its just covered with static multicoloured lines.. in places over the screen..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back