Graphics upgrade, only have PCI slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

emman186

Hi , im new around here and I just want to know that can i upgrade my graphic card if i only have standard PCI slot ?

hello and welcome; here are couple of options of PCI Video Cards for your system, if your system is bit older, it should still have AGP slot. Can you please give your system's specifications?

Well your system have an AGP graphics card in it. I can suggest few old AGP cards still lugging around but don't expect them to blitz everything in the new games or such things.

Here are my Suggestions:

1. 3d Fuzion Geforce 5500
2. POWERCOLOR Radeon HD 4670 1GB (so far the best one i found for this slot)
3. GeForce 6200 512MB
4. Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit
5. GeForce 7600GS 512MB 128-bit
6. Radeon HD 3450 512MB 64-bit

As I have no idea of your budget, i have listed the cards which cover many price points. Also keep in mind whichever you may choose, you may also need to replace your power supply.

Goodluck

I think probably nVidia's last AGP card was 7800GS, and it was expensive and not worth buying in my view even at the time of its launch.

So if you are looking for an reasonable solution go for 4670, or 3850. However, you have to keep that in mind you may need to replace your PSU as well.

Okay . Thnks . But I need graphic cards that can run Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising and Left 4 Dead 2

The minimum requirements for L4D2 are:

Intel Processor - Core 2 Duo E4600 2.4GHz
AMD Processor - Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+
Nvidia Graphics Card - Geforce 7600 GT 256MB
ATI Graphics Card - Radeon X1600
RAM Memory - 2 GB

Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising system requirements:

# 7900 GT / 256 MB VRAM or higher)
# Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
# Memory: 1 GB
# Hard disk: 8 GB
# Dual Core CPU 2 x 2.4 GHz

PSU = Power Supply Unit

Keeping in view the above requirements, your current system will struggle to cope with these requirements even with the new graphics card. The from selection of graphics card point of view, I wouldn't bother looking at the lower end of the cards then, perhaps 3850 or 4670 are realistic choices. Also whichever card you choose do check its PSU requirements.

You'll need a new Motherboard, CPU, RAM and PSU to start with. That mean pretty much a new PC.

But , how do you know my system has an AGP slot ? By the way , i'm sorry for asking a lot of questions .

It is alright; if one is not prepared to ask they will not learn or improve. So ask as much as you want to :)

I looked for your system's specs from the model number you told me.

You have
256mb DDR2
To play LFD2 you will require 2Gb you have 1744Mb less than required
To play Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising you will require 1Gb you have 744Mb less than required
I have a NvIdea Geforce 7600 GT (512Mb) bought recently $120AUS and only 1553Mb of RAM so I'm unable at this stage to play LFD2 too (I only have a CRT monitor).

#9 in this thread has already taken care of that issue; but thanks again ucloud :)

And emman it doesn't matter how much upgradation you do to your current system; it will not take you much further with regard to playing games like L4D2.

So, if you want casual gaming just get one card from the choices I've gathered for you in your system; and thats about all I would recommend, keeping in view all the facts. Spending much more on such an old rig will not make sense in my view. Importantly I doubt very much that you'll be able to find 'new' ram (DDR266 SDRAM) modules for your system anyway; and even if you do, they will be exorbitantly expensive, again an unwise way to spend your money.

Ok , thanks alot Archean . And that other guy . But , i cnnt find HD4670 AGP in Singapore . This is where the problems starts .

Ack ...... how come?

You can either ask one of your local hardware sellers (who offers you a good deal ofcourse ;)) to get one for you; or you may order it on the web, though it will take some time to get to you in either case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back