TechSpot

Grooveshark gets added to Google's piracy search filter

By Justin Kahn
Jul 24, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Google has been filtering piracy related sites from its instant and autocomplete search functionality for a couple years, and now the company has added popular music streaming service Grooveshark to the list of sites that will no longer appear automatically...

Read more
  2. soldier1969

soldier1969 TechSpot Booster Posts: 244   +43

There are a dozen other sites to look it up, google is not tell all see all for your searches lol. Try startpage...Anonymous and it works.
  3. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TechSpot Booster Posts: 958   +96

So if you're a total doofus that can't spell, or you have the worst memory on the planet, then this works. If not, it's useless. At least Google stopped some car thieves, so that kinda makes up for it.

I get Grooveshakers (Band) when I type: Groovesha
  4. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TechSpot Booster Posts: 958   +96

Fail.

Google produces the link to Grooveshark, if you type (or paste) the ENTIRE word.
  5. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,047   +38

Can anyone list off some great search engines that dont filter out stuff that we might actually want or a way to turn off google's piracy filter?

I remember Google being the greatest search engine around.. anymore it seems like they keep on filtering stuff out, and this autocomplete bullshit is starting to get frustrating, it's not really helping me, at least....
  6. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,891   +354

Google started becoming ***** proof and it starting tagging the intelligent people as *****s in the process.
    Hence why google thinks it knows what im trying to type better than I am. I dont want google to mess with what I type in automatically! its annoying to say the least.
  7. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,891   +354

Also, why does techspot tag the word that describes unintelligent people as a cuss word? it makes my post look alot more ignorant than it actually is, haha
  8. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

Because apparently, when justified, calling people what they are can hurt their "feelings"...
  9. nickblame

nickblame Newcomer, in training Posts: 41

I dunno, maybe https://duckduckgo.com/ ?
  10. Along with the bubble search filter, this makes google less and less useful for actual search, too much control, too much censoring, zero and I mean ZERO privacy

I moved to DuckDuckGo actually, it sometimes needs you to fine tune your search keywords a bit more but it gets the job done better than google
  11. Duckula22

Duckula22 Newcomer, in training Posts: 55

I'm dreaming of Web 3.0, absolutely decentralized, impossible to censor. At least for some aspects of one's web experience, like p2p communities. I have seen way too many bogus DMCA take down requests, that **** can't continue. A guy made a mod for Doom, and Mediafire was asked to have his stuff removed, probably because the word "doom" was somewhere in the package title. I managed to find the package on a german server, and I can assure you it infringes nothing.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.