TechSpot

Groupon becomes largest Internet IPO since Google, raises $700 million

By Shawn Knight
Nov 4, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Groupon has raised $700 million in its initial public offering and is currently trading much higher than the original $20 per share asking price. The daily deals company managed to…

Read the whole story

2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,187   +748

Go Groupon, it's your birthday! Currently trading at almost $28!

3. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Did I hear anybody say bubble?
    A $17bn valuation for a company which operates in a market in its infancy and zero barriers to entry seems very far fetched... in tech the first company on the scene doesn't always become the most successful, e.g. Friendster, Altavista...

4. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,602   +357

I'm no financial expert but common sense makes me believe there's a bubble in the making. If you had invested in the first day of the IPO of any of the recent high-profile Internet startups and sold your stock a week later, you would have made a ton of money out of simple speculation.

5. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,398   +169

+1

I agree. Especially when one considers that Groupon doesn't really even represent new technology vs. more so a marketing idea that will be challenged (and likely overwhelmed) when all the big names jump on the same bandwagon

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.