GTX 280 in pci-e 1.0 slot (not 2.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tastegw

after much debate with myself, i finally made the purchase (and installed it 2day).
really didnt want to shell out the money for it, but greed (i think) made me do it.

the reason i am here posting today is not to ask for help, but to give some information for others that may need it.

my motherboard does not have pci-e 2.0 slot. (you can see what it is in my specs above in the link)
it has the pci-e 16x

yes these cards are backwards compatible with this slot as noted on the box and on sites with info about these cards.

i just wanted to say, it runs just fine in my setup.
with no overclocks on my cpu or my new gtx 280, out of the box 3dmark06 score 12k+

so if anyone was wondering how it ran when not socketed into a 2.0 board slot, and in the 1.0 board slot, i have to say it runs pretty decent.

this 280 is running 33% faster while in the 1.0 slot(or should i say better) than my old 8800gts.

hope this helps anyone that was interested.

now maybe when i get a few extra bucks, ill finished my upgrades
so far all ive done is upgraded the memory, the psu, and the gpu.
id like to get a new motherboard, and cpu to go along with it.

good day.

Thx, good post. I can see that sucker with a core 2 duo( hoping you're not an amd fanboy) with 4-8Gbs of ddr2 and a decent Hdd. You'd be set.

Thx, good post. I can see that sucker with a core 2 duo( hoping you're not an amd fanboy) with 4-8Gbs of ddr2 and a decent Hdd. You'd be set.

naw, not an amd fanboy here,

last year at this time the 6400 was just alot cheaper than the intel line so i made the decision based on price.

and when my original mobo (evga 590) came in dead (was also non returnable) i had to stretch my wallet thin just to replace it.

i may just wait a while for the i7 products to come down in price.
i believe all i need to replace is my mobo/cpu/and hd and ill have an above average desktop.

edit:

felt i had to add this in.

my favorite online game (guildwars)
i started it up to see the new performance id gain over my old card. boy was i suprised.

my guildwars history on my last 3 cards (including the 280)
ati x1300, was averaging 15-20 fps running 1280x1024
evga 8800gts, was averaging 50-60 fps running 1280x1024 (peak @ 62, couldnt go past that for some reason)
evga gtx 280, averaging 175-225 fps (i was like, holy sh!t), (peaked @ 349 fps while monitoring it)

so while only a 33% boost from 3dmark06
its a 300%+ boost in guildwars alone.

im very happy with this card so far.

Thanks for the info.
I have a PCI-E 1.0 MB too, and just ordered a GF 9800 GTX+ to replace my outdated GF 6800 ultra.

I was a little scared updating my gfx card to a newer one wouldn't make much difference on this motherboard (Gigabyte K8N-Pro Sli). Hopefully the upgrade is enough to run some of the newer games a bit better.

No card is able to max out the bandwidth of PCI-E 1.0, let alone that offered by its newer incarnation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back