GTX 280 or 4870, which will last longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducklord

i know there is a huge price difference in both pieces. one being only 300 while the other is 400.

but the problem i have is, i never bothered with graphic setting, i don't mind playing at the lowest setting. cause i play my games on a 17 or 19 inch monitor.

what i want to know, is which of these card the 4870 and the 280, would last longer in terms of being able to play the lastest game, 3-5 years down the road, at minimum setting with a 19 inch monitor?

thanks

3-5 years down the road

??

If you said 6months to one year, then maybe it could be answered

But 5 Years away, geez we might have holograms by then, with full realistic 3D (ie you could walk around the picture to see the back of it ! )

Oh and your Video card, would be laughed at

well, the point being, my previous graphic card is like 4 years old and it did manage to play cod4 when at the lowest setting. so that's what i'm looking for. but then again, maybe it's not possible to predict. but could you say which would have a higher chance of lasting longer? so say in a year or two :p

either of those cards are good, and the best for u to do is check the price and get the cheaper. As Kimsland has said there is no way to konw as fast as things are changing in technology today.

ok. so cheaper one. 4870. one more question, i knew what motherboard i was going to get with the 280, which would be a nvidia 750. but now i'm not so sure. is there a motherboard for ati? or something like that?

Get the ATI honestly, they keep support of older stuff longer once AMD took over.

Theres old DX9 ATI cards that are updated to somewhat function in DX10 enviroments, NVIDIA just laughed at their old users.

So if its lasting in the long run, I'd recommend ATI. Why? You can buy a second card of the same type down the road and up your graphics power if you really really need to.

i was thinking of just changing graphic card when i need it. cause the ati graphic card is quite cheap in comparison with 280. but still, if i had a budget of 200 give or take, is there a card out there that fits intel chip with an ati graphic card?

With a 17" or a 19" monitor capable of doing 1280x1024 at the max, either of the cards will be a waste of money. You could do better by just getting one of the currently dirt-cheap 8800GTs or an HD 4850 instead.

oh i was going to get two monitors. most like a new one and then use my old monitor as a second monitor. will that make a difference?

ok, correct me if i'm wrong. but let's say in the future, i'm playing crysis like game of the future, wouldn't it be better to have more memory and processing speed so i would be able to play the game at minimum setting with somewhat of an acceptable frame rate? if i'm not mistaken my graphic card was radeon x300, which is like at least 4 years old. and it manage to play cod4. i was like :p so worth my money.

so, with that thought wouldn't it be an ok idea to get that kind of graphic card. or is it just that cod4 has a ridiculously low requirement?

oh yeah, and there was also something like "shader pixel" not meeting the standard. and i was thinking that maybe a later version graphic card would have the better component. i mean i could be wrong cause i really don't understand half of the specifications written down in newegg.

so how far wrong am i?

see, the problem is i've been everywhere. like the manufacturer page, google and reviews. but the problem is they give length only. never height. i'm afriad that the case wouldn't be able to close after putting in the card.

i was hoping somebody who actually own it could tell me the height.

RADEON HD 4870 512MB

GPU: RADEON HD 4870 (RV770)
Interface: PCI-Express x16
GPU frequencies (ROPs/Shaders): 750/750 MHz (nominal - 750/750 MHz)
Memory frequencies (physical (effective)): 900 (3600) MHz (nominal - 900 (3600) MHz)
Memory bus width: 256bit
Unified processors: 800
Texture processors: 40 (BLF/TLF)
ROPs: 16
Dimensions: 220x100x33 mm (the last figure is maximum thickness of the graphics card).
PCB color: red
RAMDACs/TDMS: integrated into GPU.
Output connectors: 2xDVI (Dual-Link/HDMI), TV-out.
VIVO: not available
TV-out: integrated into GPU.
Multi-GPU operation: CrossFire (Hardware).

Edit:

Oh the newegg one is 1Gig

so... is it save for me to assume that the one gig would be the same as the 512?

cause the one from visiontek which is a 512 has completely different length from the one you provided.

In terms of physical dimensions the Radeon HD 4870 is just half a centimeter longer than the Radeon HD 4850, at 24 cm (9.5 inches). Similarly to other graphics cards in this range, the Radeon HD 4870 requires two six-pin auxiliary power connectors to operate.

with a different length it just make me wonder if the height will be different across model and company that makes them. speaking of which maybe i'll email the company. that might work.

You know every time I start on Hardware and sales, something goes wrong
I'm opting out now, whilst the ship is still just above water :)

Please Google Dimensions 4870 I did

And if no one else replies here, please let us know ;)

either way it takes 2 slots in the back. I wouldnt worry so much about the height of the card as i would the length.

I am guessing that the 1 gig model is not any different dimension wise, as the 512 model likely is 2X256, and the 1 gig is likely 2X512. They probably just swapped the 512 in for the 256.

If you have any questions about specs for the equipment, I would suggest finding it on Newegg, and looking at the posted specs. They usually have a good amount of info available.

apparently it's 9 inches by 5 inches

oh so now i've to go through everything again to make sure the length works damm

DaMak420 said:
I am guessing that the 1 gig model is not any different dimension wise, as the 512 model likely is 2X256, and the 1 gig is likely 2X512. They probably just swapped the 512 in for the 256.
You are thinking of the Radeon 4870 X2 I believe, while the OP wants the HD 4870.

@Ducklord, what card you should get depends on what the maximum resolution of your new monitor is. The HD 4850 is good for upto 1680x1050. Beyond that, the HD 4870 is the better buy.

DOH!

I blame Kim... she linked the X2 review and threw me off =P hehehehe

My Bad. Yes I was speaking of the X2

that was until like a couple hours ago, when i realized it i seriously need a case that can fit a 10.5 inch card. so i decided to rework everything :p

final spec, tell me if it doesn't work.

NZXT LEXA BlackLine Black Steel

ASUS P5N-D LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3

yeah, i finally decided to get GTX260 instead cause the price is around the same and i just like nvida better :haha:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz

Thermaltake CL-P0257 Blue orb II CPU Cooler

G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

well, i'm going to have duo monitor, haven't yet decided on the size.

now, i need to ask three question.

1. does everything fit? in terms of wiring?
2. what do i need to make my computer able to watch tv. like i can plug my cable into the CPU and i can watch it from my monitor and record stuff down?
3. how much power do i need for all that? i'm thinking of getting this PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W or PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W. oh and i'm going to have two hd and three dvd drivers thingy. and a sound card and also whatever else need from question 2.

thanks

If it were me, I'd go 750Watt on the PSU
Now I know everyone's going to reply, "overkill" But I'd still do it :)

The other fit specs, I'll leave to the real experts on this :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back