GTX 660 DirectCU and HP xw4600 Workstation

Hello

First I want to say that my native language is not English . If I have made any grammatical errors ask to be excused .

Recently I decided to improve my computer 's video card and bought a GTX 660 DirectCU. Once I put it in my computer , he began to beep and the card does not start at all. I went to the computer service and asked what could be my problem . There I was told that most likely my power is insufficient. So before I invest in new power want to ask - is it possible that the problem lies elsewhere. In the end it was pretty old computer and there may be some incompatibility ...

On the net I found this
The HP XW4600 workstation motherboard and power supply are Proprietary , the power supply can't be upgraded with a standard ATX power supply.....Sorry
The power supply is specific to that hp board.
Power Supply 475 watts wide-ranging, active Power Factor Correction, 85% Efficient

Computer:
Computer Type ACPI x64-based PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.17691
DirectX DirectX 11.1
Date / Time 2015-03-30 / 09:01

Motherboard:
CPU Type DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E8600, 3333 MHz (10 x 333)
Motherboard Name Hewlett-Packard HP xw4600 Workstation
Motherboard Chipset Intel Beachwood X38
System Memory 4080 MB (DDR2-800 ECC DDR2 SDRAM)
DIMM1: Micron 18HTF25672AY-800E1 2 GB DDR2-800 ECC DDR2 SDRAM (6-6-6-18 @ 400 MHz) (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)
DIMM3: Micron 18HTF25672AY-800E1 2 GB DDR2-800 ECC DDR2 SDRAM (6-6-6-18 @ 400 MHz) (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)
BIOS Type Compaq (08/28/08)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700 (512 MB)

Storage:
Disk Drive ST3640323AS (640 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
Disk Drive WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 (1000 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-III)
Optical Drive TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653Q

[ BIOS ]
BIOS Properties:
Vendor Hewlett-Packard
Version 786F3 v01.15
Release Date 08/28/2008
Size 4 MB
System BIOS Version 1.15
Boot Devices Floppy Disk, Hard Disk, CD-ROM, ATAPI ZIP, LS-120
Capabilities Flash BIOS, Shadow BIOS, Selectable Boot, Network Service Boot, EDD, BBS
Supported Standards DMI, ACPI, PnP
Expansion Capabilities PCI, USB
Virtual Machine No

From my research so far my power supply should be enough for this video card.

My best opinion as to why you are having problems is incompatibility. Looking at the chipset for your motherboard (Intel Beachwood X38), it is linked for a PCI Express slot version 1.1. The Geforce GTX 660 DirectCU is a PCI Express 3.0 card. Not all PCI Express 3.0 cards will work in a PCI Express 1.1 slot. Multiple people have had problems with said issue. If you are looking for better compatibility, I would suggest getting a PCI Express 2.1 (or 2.0) video card. You will have less issues getting it to work properly.

Tx for reply Spykezxp.
What about this http://www.overclock.net/a/the-final-answer-to-the-controversial-pcie-x16-version-compatibility.
Even all the reference cards from Nvidia of the 600 line up were able to run on PCIe v1.1 slots.
So to most of the people who own the motherboards having chipset X38 and latter you have both AMD and Nvidia choices open to you.
UPDATE: (After reading the comments I went back to researching again over this question and I must partly decline my statement of the PCIe configuration not being backward compatible. They in fact are very much compatible after a motherboard update (In some cases even the update wasn't needed. Sorry for the misguided information but I tried my best of reaching to the root of this controversy and reached a partially mistaken conclusion. So once again guys, if your graphic card doesn't work on your old motherboard then an UPDATE from from motherboard manufacturer will most likely solve your problem. My sincere apologies for any inconvenience or confusion caused. Thank you for all sharing your helpful experiences, as my final aim was to help ease the confusion and frustration that is involved with building a PC for the 1st time. Cheers to PC gaming!)
Is it possible to update the bios to help solve the problem?

If you have an available BIOS update from the HP website, you could try it. Again though, it may or may not work. I have also read through the site that you listed and going by personal experience building/repairing desktop computers for last 20+ years, I myself have run into the problem where as a graphics card would not work because of the compatibility issue. It does not happen all the time, but does every once in a while. Most of the time its because the Manufacturer (such as HP) does not issue a BIOS update to correct the problem, because they feel that the specified motherboard is "outdated" to the point that it would not be beneficial to them for someone to spend time fixing the issue. Follow the directions from the HP website and run a BIOS update to see if it works. If is does not work, then we can continue troubleshooting the issue.

Will try BIOS upgrade. If this does not help I actually left without options . Thanks for your support . At least I know that I do not miss something obvious that someone with more experience and knowledge would have done in the first place .

Back