GTX 660 TI VS GTX 660

darca

Hi

I wanted to ask, if there sense of buing GTX 660 TI instead of 660? I read that there's no big difference between those cards in capabilities. Is that truth? And also what is best brand for them, and if 3gb version of 660 ti is worth it?

Thanks for any replies :)

They share the same 660 name but they're different cards based on different chips. Whether the 660 Ti is worth the premium depends on the games you play, the resolution of your monitor and obviously the difference in price. Look up some benchmarks to help you decide.

In almost all cases the 3GB version is a waste of money.

The 660Ti has a greater amount of cores than the 660 and is built on a cut down version of the GTX 680 and 670. The 660Ti will provide greater performance in most cases. I agree with slh28, if you play games at 1920x1080, the 3GB is a waste of money. The 3GB will come in handy @2560x1440 and maybe 1920x1200 (to maintain higher settings).

I think it is worth waiting a month or so man, the 780 was just announced at a Geforce competition in China and it will officially be revealed on May 23rd. The 770 will follow with a May 31st release. Finally, the 760Ti (what you would want), will be released in early June (around the Intel Haswell launch). If the 760Ti is just a weak upgrade over the 660Ti, then you can get the 660Ti for cheap, and maybe even step up to a 670 or 680.

Even at 2560x1440 there are very few games that will take advantage of more than 2 GB of VRAM... and if you turn the game's settings up high enough to require more than 2 GB then you're probably being choked by your GPU performance anyway. The only instance I can think of where this wouldn't be true is a heavily modded Bethesda game.

Even at 2560x1440 there are very few games that will take advantage of more than 2 GB of VRAM... and if you turn the game's settings up high enough to require more than 2 GB then you're probably being choked by your GPU performance anyway. The only instance I can think of where this wouldn't be true is a heavily modded Bethesda game.
True.

I've been looking into replacing my 6850 with a GTX660/Ti.

I think I'll be getting a 660Ti, because it's pretty much the minimum for Metro: Last Light. Plus, I could use those CUDA cores when converting movies into PS3 format.

I've been looking into replacing my 6850 with a GTX660/Ti.

I think I'll be getting a 660Ti, because it's pretty much the minimum for Metro: Last Light. Plus, I could use those CUDA cores when converting movies into PS3 format.

Wait till June when the 760Ti is released. That will reduce the price of the 660Ti.

Wow, good thing I found this thread. Lots of interesting and good points being thrown out. I had the same questions and I think I will wait till June and see this 760Ti.

Back