Intel i5 2500K
Asrock Z68 Extreme 4
8GB RAM
GTX 670
Asus Xonar DX
HP LP2475w
Antec TP 650

Hi all,
I received my new GPU on Wednesday. After running a few games I noticed a problem, namely sound interference. It only develops when I load a game. It is a buzzing sound that varies but is present even when sound is muted. It happens with the onboard sound or the external card. This problem never surfaced with my old GPU (ATI 5770).
I am not sure whether the card is defective. Could the PSU cause the above mentioned problem? I don't want to return it until I am sure the card is in fact faulty.
Any Suggestions much appreciated.
Many thanks for your help.

Is the sound coming from the GPU itself (coil whine)? Or are you getting a buzzing sound through your speakers which goes away when the speakers are turned off?

It's the latter, I initially thought it was coil whine but the noise is only audible through the headphones (Sennheiser HD380). If I unplug them it is gone.

How close is the Xonar to the 670, If they are right next to each other it could electrical interference?

The sound card is adjacent to the GPU. The motherboard manual recommends using the particular PCI Express slot. The setup was the same with previous card and I had no problems. Also, the PSU only delivers 25 amps per each 12v rail. The GPU requirement lists 30 Amp. I presently have the card connected via two rails (one PCIE per a rail) to make up enough amps, is this correct? I shall contact EVGA on Monday and see what they have to say. I also to test the card in a friends PC to see if the same problem surfaces.
Thanks.

Okay, the plot thickens. I bought a new PSU (Corsair 650 TX) but it made no difference. I tested the graphics card in my old PC and the annoying sound is gone. The sound card is also problem free. It is an Intel e6600 CPU and Intel motherboard. I could return the graphics card but now I am not sure if it is the problem. All I can say this is my first and last time buying a non-Intel board. My old system never gave any issues. The only other thing for me to try is to reinstalling the OS. I shall do that on Thursday when I receive my new Samsung SSD.

The card is giving off electrical interference, and since the sound card is so close it is getting that interference. The only thing you could try is to move the sound card down to a lower pci-e slot, I would move it down to the last I know it says not too but the pci-e lane should not matter, the computer will see it either way. I have my soundcard in a pci-e 16x slot to keep it away form my graphics card and it runs fine. the further apart the cards are the less noise you should get.

Okay, but why is the problem not present in my old system? The positioning is the same. Just to be clear, I installed the Xonar DX and GTX 670 in my old system and the problem goes. In my newer system the sound interference in present whether I use the onboard sound or external sound card. Thanks.

It could be electrical noise form the mobo, and do you hear thebuzzing through the speakers or the front headphone ports? I had and annoying buzzing and moving power cords around and separating the card helped get rid of the issue.

I don't have any speakers, I use headphones. They are plugged in the rear as I haven't connected the front header. I'll try remounting the motherboard in the next few days and organising the cables better. Thanks.

Yeah the re-cabling should help with the electrical interference, you'll have to post back to keep us updated. It's a weird problem.

Back