GTX280 Price drop? With the new card around the corner

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamingguy27

Hello,

I was wondering, with the new nVidia GTX295 being released on the 5th January, what do we think the GTX280 will drop to?

It's about $400 average at the moment right? Maybe $300 in a few weeks?

Regards,

Alex.

The price will likely go down a good bit. The GTX295 is set to be the most powerful card on the market, and so it will displace the GTX280 as Nvidia's flagship card, thus driving the price of the latter down quite a bit. Possibly to ~$299 US. So if you're looking to buy a GTX280, just wait a bit longer and save yourself a few bucks.

Seeing as the GTX295 is a dual GPU card, its release is akin to the release of the 7950GX2 back in the day, and the subsequent price drop of the 7900GTX following that release.

Most likely. Expect prices around the $200 mark for the majority of the GTX 260s, to compete with the HD 4870.

4870x2

I'm thinking that ATI will follow suit with price drops?

Maybe a slight 4870x2 reduction? Especially if the GTX295 beats the 4870x2!

Regards,

I'm currently in progress of going through a new gaming rig build but have not yet purchased a GPU. I have had my mindset on the 4870 as opposed to the GTX 260 but if there's a price drop, should I consider the GTX 280?

But before I even think about that, would my PSU be able to handle it? It's a PC Power & Cooling 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V. If it most definitely can, then I might seriously consider getting a GTX 280.

Didn't even know about the 295 coming out so thanks for the information on that and thanks to anyone who can answer my question =].

The GTX 280 will run fine on that PSU PiNOYBOi, I don't see any problems.

@gamingguy27, I'd like to think so. The GTX295 will likely cost around $600, but I can't imagine the amount of heat it will generate, even if it does throw the air out of the case. I reckon it'll be clocked lower for this reason, like the 9800GX2. The HD 4870X2 should drop to ~$450 or so I think, not much more.

Hmmm, good to hear.

I think I'll wait until prices are reasonable, then get the GTX280; I guess prices will drop within the next week anyway.

The 295 has been downclocked quite a bit, so I think you're right about the heat issues. It's also a lot to spend on a card when nVidia will bring out another one soon enough.

Regards,

Since the clock rates are so low on the 295 I'm thinking with watercooling it would yeild a decent amount of headroom.

I heard the GTX300 model was going to be released at the end of next year... don't even want to think about the price of one of those... or the size of the PCB for that matter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back