Guide for Adding Vista Laptop to XP Desktop Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawtyger

Hi,

What started as the simple desire to be able to print wirelessly from my new Vista running laptop (like I easily did with my old XP running laptop) has turned into 6 hours of frustration.

Does anyone know of step by step guide (online or otherwise) that walks through the "correct" steps to take?

My workgroup on both the laptop and desktop of "MSHOME" and I can see a desktop icon in the network box along with a laptop icon. But when I click the desktop icon is says "Network path not found."

I've used Windows Vista help and checked the following:

Your computer is running Windows Vista and network discovery is turned off.
To turn on network discovery, follow these steps:

Vista Network Discovery is on.

Your computer is running Windows Vista and the Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) protocol is disabled on the network adapter.

I installed the LLTD on the desktop and ensured the boxes are checked on both the desktop and laptop

Your computer is running Windows Vista and is connected to a network that is assigned to the "Public place" network location.

I see that my Vista laptop is set to private. I don't see where to check (or change if necessary) if the XP Desktop is assigned to a Public Place. I don't believe it is.

Your computer is running Windows XP and the LLTD protocol is not installed.
Before a computer running Windows XP can be detected and appear on the network map, you need to install the LLTD protocol on that computer.

As I mentioned above, I installed this on the XP desktop.

Your computer is running Windows XP and your firewall settings are preventing Windows from detecting it.

I've turned off the Window firewall on the Vista Laptop (no other firewall program in it) and turned off Zonealarm on the XP desktop and ensure Windows Firewall is off.

Your device doesn't support the required protocols.

I don't know what this means, but assume it isn't referring to my XP desktop running SP2 as a device not supporting this.

Anyway, I'm really out of options and don't know what to try next. I feel like I'm almost there since I can see a desktop icon on the network box on the Vista laptop, but after all these hours I'm stuck. At this point, I just won't be able to print from my laptop which is a huge disappointment but oh well I guess. My wife is the one who will be the most upset because she like to print her school stuff from the laptop. She was the one excited about "the look" of Vista. I think her excitement level is about to him mine - very low.

If anyone knows of a guide, please let me know.

Actually I mainly posting to join this thread (although thread tools can do that)
I thought I'd ask if you have created a password on both computer user accounts, this may need to be in the Administrator account too.

Just make both user passwords the same ie "password"
(ie it is required to have a password to network properly)

This may be the fault.
But I'd like a simple weblink on this too, especially with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back