Hack to run traditional desktop apps on Windows RT detailed

By Jos
Jan 7, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft's ARM-based version of Windows is only intended to run Metro-style apps downloaded directly from the Windows Store as well as a pre-loaded, touch-oriented version of Office and IE10. But an enterprising hacker claims to have come up with a...

Read more
  2. m4a4

m4a4 TechSpot Addict Posts: 477   +117

Well... it sounds like they would have to be recompiled for ARM anyway you look at it...
    SNGX1275 likes this.
  3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,229   +314

Although it's not practical at all, that is a damn clever hack.
  4. Opus

Opus Newcomer, in training Posts: 35

Damn right statement, though I wonder people have so much time to do this kinda hardcore stuff.
  5. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,721   +286

Doesnt that sort of defeat the purpose then?
  6. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,197   +555

This is just the beginning. :)
  7. For every effort the corporates take to limit the public, hackers find the backdoors, front doors, loop holes and re'imagine the concepts in such lateral ways they will never win. someone is always smarter. RESPECT
  8. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 783   +85

And sometimes get sued/jail time lol.
  9. M$ really dropped the ball with their Apple like pricing and limited functionality.
  10. SMarco

SMarco Newcomer, in training

This is hardly "hardcore". It's about knowing how things work. Perhaps being an MIT student gives me some sort of bias but this is pretty trivial.
  11. Zeromus

Zeromus TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 230   +7

I actually thought the guy found a secret ARM dynarec/binary translator, but personally I would have allowed running native executables (recompiled).
  12. Night Hacker

Night Hacker TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 103   +10

OR, use a different operating system and quit supporting garbage.
  13. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,197   +555

Good job on setting the tone with your first post.

Yeah, Windows is such garbage, how do corporations ever get work done on them..

14. Zeromus

Zeromus TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 230   +7

That's exactly what I wanted to say, but couldn't come up with anything at the moment. 1diots I say.
  15. Better, go Linux and forget that bullshit form M$...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.