By wopstrop
Sep 20, 2006
  1. Hello
    I have found that there is a "hacktool.rootkit" viruss on my pc. located in C:WINDOWS\syst32.dll.

This has been found by Norton, Prevex1, sysclean etc. All identifyit, but none can quarantine or delet the virus.

I have run a Hijack scan, and have attached the scan log. I have no Idea how to analyse the log.

Any help or avdice would be much apreciated.

Thanks in anticipation:confused: :confused: :confused:

Attached Files:

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

HJT can`t do anything against a rootkit infection.

You`re only chance of removal is to go HERE and download the sysclean package. Follow the instructions exactly.

If that doesn`t help, there is a programme called Unhackme that claims to be able to get rid of rootkits. See HERE for more info.

It`s quite possible, the only way for you to get rid of the rootkit infection is to reformat.

Please let me know the outcome.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of wopstrop only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.
  3. wopstrop

wopstrop TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for your reply.

I knew HTJ was only a scan tool.

Seemed to have got rid of the syst32.dll using the Prevx1 software, Unhack me was no use, even when I scanned knowing the vrus was ther it did not detect it.

So thanks for the advice, took me 3 days of trial and error with various programmes but seemed to have got there, will let you know if anything changes.

Once again, thank you
  4. akawebdiva

akawebdiva TS Rookie

Unhack me worked for me I also used A-squared

I had let my Norton lapse and was infested--"Rookit Removal" was necessary. I used all of the below: Make sure you have all your drivers ready - if you wipe out your wireless- keyboard or tablet you will need to go through a driver reinstall. It is hard to know what is good-Partizan helps with what it thinks is good or bad. This post would not allow me to post links.

"Detects and removes rootkits" "UnHackMe"

TrendMicro™ HijackThis™
    Will also check Websites for Safety -IE Browser Menubar

Norton from Symantec

Lavasoft adaware

Spybot-Also Monitors
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.