Hacker pleads guilty to selling login credentials for US supercomputers

By David Tom
Aug 28, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Andrew James Miller, a 24-year old hacker from Pennsylvania, gained access to the Energy Department’s series of supercomputers and attempted to sell the pilfered login credentials to an undercover FBI agent. Today, Miller pleaded guilty to charges of conspiracy and...

Read more
  2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,531   +836

Dont put him in jail, hire him and pay him good money to secure government systems.
    I guess that would just be what I would do.
    To protect against cyberattacks, you need someone who thinks like a cyberattacker.

3. It's all about trust, they could fear he may turns his back against them when he has gain access to government systems
  4. It's not just the fact that he should teach the govt how to secure their computers better, they should also teach their employees to not do something careless like getting a keylogger on their computer.
  5. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,441   +594

Pretty impressive.
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,352   +1,945

Maybe Apple should take him under their wing try refine his one true ability... you know, the ability to successfully overcharge. :)
    lmike6453 likes this.
  7. Satki

Satki TS Member Posts: 24

Why? Maybe after his sentence, but he still broke the law, and he did it for monetary gain.
  8. Keyloggers .. is not hacking .. lol

that is just plan sneaking stealing...
  9. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

He already did a wrong deed and then second trying to sell first wrong deed access to other people which is breaking the law. He'll now have to give up all rights his life will not be so free again.
  10. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,531   +836

He did it for monetary gain not intending to be directly malicious. He broke the law, but how many people in our country have the skills to do things of that level? not many. I guess I can see giving him a small sentence and then doing this, but its such a waste to let him rot.
  11. Introducing the NEW 3 Stooges(!) :

- Manning (Chelsea, lol)
    - Snowden
    - Miller

Freaks of nature who are best put out to sea in a leaking boat with no paddles.

Not at all 'normal' by any physiological standard.