Hacker steals 3.6M Social Security numbers from Dept. of Revenue

By Shawn Knight
Oct 29, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. South Carolina officials recently revealed that a hacker had infiltrated computers at the state's Department of Revenue offices and got away with a mountain of personal taxpayer data. It is believed that as many as 3.6 million Social Security numbers...

Read more
  2. Jesse

Jesse TechSpot Staff Posts: 368   +39

It would be great if Techspot could start captioning photos in posts so that we know exactly what we are looking at.
  3. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TechSpot Booster Posts: 1,000   +37

Here ya go...

hehehe
    prismatics likes this.
  4. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

Yep I agree, that hacker needs to be fried lol. Mainly because most of your elderly pay their taxes with their cards. So grams and Gramps needs to warned!!!
  5. lchu12

lchu12 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 199   +9

The woman on the left looks sad, the man on the far right looks out of it. The man in the middle looks plain grumpy...
  6. dotVezz

dotVezz TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 117

Only a year of free credit monitoring and identity theft protection? That doesn't seem like it even scratches the surface of what should be done here...
  7. dawei1993

dawei1993 Newcomer, in training Posts: 37

LOL very precise.
  8. Makes you feel good to know that the government takes good care of your private info. This is just another step toward id chips.
  9. avoidz

avoidz TechSpot Maniac Posts: 452   +53

Bad hacker. But when are these places going to get serious and start encrypting people's important information? Plus, isolate that information from the outside world.

With the above in mind, maybe the caption is: "I guess we screwed up!"
  10. I'm from SC and a computer science major close to getting my degree. Just would like to say, wtf is wrong with our states security? I mean if there's anything that should be encrypted it should be social security numbers. Any type of network traffic that is unencrypted should be thought of as public traffic. I mean that's just unforgivable. I hope the IT department is fired for something as irresponsible as this. Honestly, I believe anything government related she have some sort of encryption on it. It just undermines our government when people are so easily able to "hack" into our systems. I say "hack" because these people aren't even really hackers they just logged on and read publicly readable information.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.