TechSpot

Hackers download Halo: Reach off Xbox Live

By Matthew
Aug 23, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Update: Microsoft has delivered a swift and mighty blow with its ban stick. Everyone caught with the prerelease game is being permanently suspended from Xbox Live. Read the full notice after the break. Thanks to Relic for the tip.

Read the whole story

2. JudaZ

JudaZ TS Enthusiast Posts: 294

ooh comon MS Be glad that the games is so loved that people what to break in to get an early glims. .. and then hire the ones who did it to create better security.

The games is obviosly in demand, thats a good thing...

The public beta of Windows 7 and Office 2010 worked great didnt it, and helped push sales when it was later released for sale....look at this the same way.

3. TheDumbass

TheDumbass TS Rookie Posts: 22

in your face MS

4. Haha I love the two contrasting comments above me

5. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

The person who decided to upload it to xbox live will be rather red faced at the next meeting! haha.

6. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Guru Posts: 593   +47

Oh, man! This is hilarious! Why would they put it up on XBOX Live?? XD

7. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I'm with Judaz on this one. This is a XBOX game, not a PC game. If you want to play it on the Live servers against other XBOX players you'll need a legit copy.

8. with all the resources MS has at their disposal, this was their best idea, put the game up on LIVE. They distribute beta and trial stuff for enterprise and developers via Virtual Machines all the time, and the VM's even have a timed expiration.

9. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

This has happened before and it'll likely continue to happen in the future. I remember when my friends got the Halo 2 leak, we were all angry at the pistol nerf =( .

10. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,075   +84 Staff Member

No kidding. The pistol in Halo 1 was awesome.

11. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TS Maniac Posts: 482   +8

I preordered this game through Walmart, and got a $20 ecard for their online store. I don't even have to leave my house to get the game since its delivered, although I do work that day : ( Oh, and the ODST pistol is great once you get shields down.

12. thats something to get EPiC back to pc gaming lol

13. cyrusjumpjet

cyrusjumpjet TS Member Posts: 93

Am I the only person on the planet who can't stand the Halo games? Everything about them just feels dull and wrong to me....

14. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TS Maniac Posts: 546

Pistol + Swat = WIN!

15. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TS Maniac Posts: 546

@JudaZ. Halo reach already had a MP beta.

16. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,095   +43

Its just a game guys... wow.

17. please put it on PC!!!

18. superty12

superty12 TS Enthusiast Posts: 432

Title

I wonder how many got banned. I think this comes under illegal activity. Anyways, they got what they deserved. Next time, Microsoft should just send the game to the reviewers directly. Pretty big ban. Hopefully the reviewers didn't get banned. You'd think Microsoft would've learned their lesson by now.

19. tengeta

tengeta TS Enthusiast Posts: 632

I wonder if any 13 year olds got mom's credit card and paid the legitimate $1,250 price for it. I remember some kids when I was that age were so obsessed with some game franchises enough that they probably would have tried it.

20. metrex

metrex TS Rookie

This looks like an "inside job" to me Come on 3 times. WOW come on Microsoft you love the publicity..

21. You can't buy the game for 99999 MS points, because there is a limit at 50000.

22. yeah it fif push sails for windows 7 but it was also hacked much earlier than it would have been if there was no beta

23. All hackers get banned but they somehow unbanned themselves. The Call of Duty franchise (especially Modern Warfare 2) is proof of that.

24. You can easily get into the Beta by following some very simple directions found here:

http://adf.ly/6dKs

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.