TechSpot

Hackers port trojan from Linux to work on Mac OS X

By Leeky
Oct 27, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Researchers at security firms ESET and Sophos have discovered that hackers have ported an old Linux backdoor Trojan to work on Apple's Mac OS X platform in an effort to…

Read the whole story

2. Modena

Modena TS Enthusiast Posts: 182

I dunno why but this makes me happy...?

3. jonny702

jonny702 TS Member Posts: 30

There will be a lot more of this in the future.... Mac isn't any safer now..... and still overpriced

4. I cheered at this information personally.

Tired of MAC users thinking they are impervious to things like this.

5. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

For proving the concept that MAC's arent that secure this isnt really that amazing, i always play tricks on my cousin that does graphics designs, of course is not that complex like these kind of Trojans but hell, its still very annoying to him and the most important part! it makes my wallet happy..

6. yowanvista

yowanvista TS Rookie Posts: 82

Die hard OS X, you are no longer secure as claimed.

7. Yawn......

8. Tomorrow_Rains

Tomorrow_Rains TS Enthusiast Posts: 179

So, now windows 8 comes out..and it has no viruses..then mac..has all the viruses.

WHAT NOW FANBOYS

9. Wow, that's the second "potential" virus ever reported to be possible on Apple's OSX. Run everybody.... to buy a mac!!!!

Mac 2, PC 10000000...10000001...10000002

ha ha
    :super wide grin:

10. katoDRAGON

katoDRAGON TS Rookie

Hmm... I wonder why there are so many pcs, and only 2 macs. because mac does not have the funding to go on researching new software. Notice how they are always (atleast) 5 years behind everyone else, and yet they are popular. "Apple's got a grip on the gummint, their sellin us a bunch of lies man" :)

11. katoDRAGON

katoDRAGON TS Rookie

*Hardware, sorry, Hardware lol

12. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,509   +314

Yeah, strangely me too? :)

13. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 957   +49

I think the irony is that the port came from an old linux trojan, opposed to a windows virus. Either way, all's fair in worms and trojans, whatever gets infected gets infected, and those with antivirus may luck out and get an easy fix/repair from the AV vendor.

14. RH00D

RH00D TS Addict Posts: 412   +106

I never knew cosmetic make-up users were ever thinking that...?

15. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Enthusiast Posts: 330   +21

because they think they are invincible to hacks and etc.

16. the pc world has always been full of creepy-crawlies ...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.