TechSpot

Hackers repeatedly penetrated Nasdaq's computer network

By Emil
Feb 5, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hackers repeatedly made their way into the computer network that runs the Nasdaq Stock Market during the past year. The part of the system that executes trades was not breached but other parts of Nasdaq's infrastructure were accessed, though it's still unclear which ones. The Secret Service and Federal Bureau of Investigation are looking into the matter, though they haven't found any malicious activity yet, according to The Wall Street Journal:

Read the whole story

2. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 3,797   +116

Ethical hacking maybe?

Or something much worse... Doesn't the Secret Service deal with the presidents security though?

3. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,533   +48

They can't have done any major damage or it would have been all over the news wouldn't it?

4. matrix86

matrix86 TS Guru Posts: 812   +26

Well if it's Americans doing it, at least they were smart enough not to actually do anything. Might have been a couple kids doing it just to see if they could. Or it could be part of something bigger planned by another country.

I can see it now...Bin Laden sitting in his cave surrounded by servers...snickering, lol.

5. @Leeky
    The SS also deals with financial crimes, usually with counterfeiting and fraud.

6. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 3,797   +116

@Guest
    Thanks for that. :) I thought the FBI did that, learn something new every day. :D

7. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,702   +1,886

Judging by the news, it seems that all branches of governmental law enforcement do all things, then blame the other branches for not sharing information, when something goes sideways.

Is it me, or is there something vaguely lascivious bout this title;

"Hackers repeatedly penetrated Nasdaq's computer network"....?

You gotta admit, there's a powerful irony to hacking the tech sectors stock servers.

8. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,180   +73

LOL! That cracked me up.

9. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,533   +48

Personally i think it's impossible to use the word "penetrated" without some "auto-innuendo" alarm going off somewhere.

Or maybe that's not what you're talkin' about, i dunno...:D

10. JudaZ

JudaZ TS Enthusiast Posts: 284

...so it was hackers..

Hackers rarely destroy anything ... just want to see if they can, and see what they find.

11. foreverzero89

foreverzero89 TS Enthusiast Posts: 217

GO hackers! i hope thy bring the whole goddamn thing down.

12. DokkRokken

DokkRokken TS Rookie Posts: 267

YEAH!! Destroy everyone's retirement savings and personal investments!!!

13. foreverzero89

foreverzero89 TS Enthusiast Posts: 217

it would help spark a revolution that this country desperately needs.

14. DokkRokken

DokkRokken TS Rookie Posts: 267

I knew I should've invested in tin-foil futures instead of anything on the Nasdaq.

15. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,702   +1,886

Yes, the Secret Service fields the US president's bodyguards. (Or protective service, if you will. But, that looked a tad redundant on paper).
    Well, of course that's what I'm talking about. Spring is fast approaching, when even a old man's fancy turns to penetrating everything in sight. That's why each Spring, you see old blind men hanging out in front of fish markets.

16. "Well, of course that's what I'm talking about. Spring is fast approaching, when even a old man's fancy turns to penetrating everything in sight. That's why each Spring, you see old blind men hanging out in front of fish markets. "

Is that groucho marx? that sounds like groucho marx....

17. "YEAH!! Destroy everyone's retirement savings and personal investments!!! "

They don't need hackers to do that...they've managed to do that pretty well without them so far.

18. CamaroMullet

CamaroMullet TS Rookie Posts: 93

Repeatedly penetrated.....

Wow, that sounds horrible!

19. GameJunkie72792

GameJunkie72792 TS Maniac Posts: 274

Lmao.