Hackers use exploit to massacre entire cities in World of Warcraft

Shawn Knight

Staff member

An exploit in World of Warcraft recently enabled a group of hackers to wreak havoc on large cities across a number of servers. The hackers were able to massacre entire cities unimpeded for nearly four hours, killing all players and non-player characters (NPCs) at will.

It is believed that the exploit gave the attackers game master (GM) powers which include the ability to override agreed upon duels and use instant-death skills to perform one-shot kills. We are hearing that busy cities like Orgimmar and Stormwind were targeted across nearly half a dozen servers including Draenor, Ragnaros, Tarren Mill, Tichondrius and Twisting Nether.

hackers world warcraft world of warcraft hacking

It’s possible that WoW expansion pack Mists of Pandaria introduced the new exploit. Alternately, it could have been present for some time and only used sparingly as to remain under Blizzard’s radar.

A member of OwnedCore has already claimed responsibility for the hack. As part of a lengthy discussion on the topic, member Jadd said his team didn’t do any permanent damage and noted that some people thought it was funny to watch. He believes that Chinese gold selling companies are ruining the game, not people like him. Those who didn’t enjoy the attacks should blame Blizzard for not fixing it faster, he said.

Blizzard representative Nethaera says the exploit has already been fixed and should not be repeatable. They are conducting a full-scale investigation into the matter and encourage anyone with information to contact them via email.

Permalink to story.

And just in case guest cant read, as it seems to be...

"Hacker means someone who finds weaknesses in a computer or computer network..." there's more, but I'd rather let him educate himself.

If troll 2/10, made me reply twice. :)

Hackers? LOL
techspot being full of #$@! AGAIN! they discovered a bug and abused it, their not hackers rofl
the crappy tech reporters of techspot did it again.

Yet you continue to come back to techspot? Who is the real ***** here?

I'll admit that is pretty funny! Seems like just the players were targeted and the NPC's were left to business as usual :)

Kudo's to Blizzard for such a quick discovery and patch on the issue.

But still, bwahahaha!! Look at the bones!

I wish I could do that in EvE every time I saw an AFK bot miner.

You already can. Hulkageddon proved that conclusively - there's no barrier to ganking miners in 7. or below and botting in .8 or higher isn't profitable. The bots are all in nullsec now.

I quit WoW when I saw the gold sellers were spelling out the name of their websites using first level characters floating in the air. Watching first level characters running on water and strolling into 20th level instances w/o being aggro'd didn't boost my confidence in Blizzard, either. The hackers have been running the game for a good while now.

Its a funny hack.. hehehe
how about blizzard doing something about the gold sellers? not just in wow but in diablo 3 too

Those server names are used in EU and US. Would be useful to specify which (or both) realms were targeted.

Brilliant. Played it from beta till before Lich King. Funny story to read in the mornin before I start my daily toil :)

Bwahahaha.. this is what we call mass genocide :D even Lich King cannot stop it

Back