TechSpot

Hacktool.rootkit removal

By powells007
Feb 25, 2009
  1. I guess I'm the next chump to get annoyed by this virus. I've been reading many posts about it and from what I can tell, it appears to be a customized solution for each case. Is there anyone that can/wants to help clear my PC?

2. mflynn

mflynn TS Rookie Posts: 2,793

Begin here....

Do the TechSpot 8 steps: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic58138.html

Skip no steps (do not install another virus scanner if you already have one, ask me before installing a Firewall).

Most importantly update MalwareBytes (MBAM) and SuperAntiSpyware (SAS)!

Before you scan with either MalwareBytes or SuperAntiSpyWare do the Extra Configs below these have become most important lately

SuperAntispyware extra config

After installed double-click the icon on your desktop to run it.

Update the program definitions.

Click the Preferences button.

Then Scanning Control.

In Scanner Options make sure all boxes are checked except #3 Ignore System Restore.. are checked:

MalwareBytes extra config

After update but before running
    Click settings and confirm all are Checked.

I repeat Update these 2 programs.

If you have problems downloading, installing or updating do nothing on your own but report back here!

Mike

3. powells007

powells007 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Awesome, thanks for the guidance. I will give this a shot over the weekend and get back to you. Thanks again!

4. mflynn

Be sure that you do get back and post all logs as the above steps may not get it all.

Mike

5. powells007

powells007 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I decided to reformat and reinstall everything instead. I should be all good now, thanks for your help!

6. mflynn

That'll doer!

Mike

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.