Had internet but now I don't "media disconnected?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob2006ty

Ok I recently booted up a new windows 7 pc which I tried to connect to my sky router it worked, for 2 hours I browsed the web, downloaded files, you name it it was working, didn't drop out once. turned it off then later on again nada, I ran ipconfig in dos and got this back (see attached) what the hell does that mean, theres no dhcp assigned values, no default gateway listed, no ip address nothing at all its all blank.

Attachments

• ipconfig result.png
    ipconfig result.png
    111.4 KB · Views: 8
It doesn't lie - It's a physical connection problem. So take LookinAround's advice.

It doesn't lie - It's a physical connection problem. So take LookinAround's advice.

I have checked all connections and linkages, there are no such problems, the card is in the pci slot fine, the connections are undamaged, the router is plugged in correctly and I can get wireless on my laptop, it is a windows 7 problem, I have tried uninstalling (physically and otherwise) the card and still the same problem, i notice from msoft forums that 100s having same problem, i'm going to install xp 64 bit on a partition and have a dual boot system. since i can get all msofts os's for free from msdna.

thanks anyway, bob.

How come you didn't go the static route and force the default gateway and Metric on that NiC?

How come you didn't go the static route and force the default gateway and Metric on that NiC?

Ummm...if there's no physical connection (i.e. "Media Disconnected") how does the above work? Am i missing something?

And to bob2006ty: If you need/want to create and install that new partition and software, that makes no difference.

But if you just wanted an easy way to check if it's hardware/BIOS vs. Windows, you can simply download and burn a Knoppix CD and then boot from it then test. (much less work) See See [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post] for info about downloading Knoppix

Ummm...if there's no physical connection (i.e. "Media Disconnected") how does the above work? Am i missing something?

And to bob2006ty: If you need/want to create and install that new partition and software, that makes no difference.

But if you just wanted an easy way to check if it's hardware/BIOS vs. Windows, you can simply download and burn a Knoppix CD and then boot from it then test. (much less work) See See [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post] for info about downloading Knoppix

Ok i did install xp 64 bit, no difference except, i tried a different card, same result, it keeps getting a strong signal then none, a strong signal then none, over and over, both cards work fine in another pc. the cards are fine, i tried different slots (switching to a card slot with another card that functions fine) its not the card or the slots, i did ip config several times. when it drops signal it says media disconnected (not true cos devmgmt.msc says the device is functioning properly) when signal picks up it displays default gateway ip address etc but their values are 0.0.0.0 or something with alot of 00s. If its not the card or the mobo then what the hell keeps happening?

1) Ooops. When i replied the first time i thought you were using a wired connection. I know understand it to be wireless, correct?

2) Have you checked to see if any firmware upgrades are available for your router? And what is the exact make/model of the router?

3) Are the computer and router in the same room? Is the signal unobstructed line-of-sight or what? If firmware change doesn't help, move your computer next to the router and see if the proximity has any affect

1) Ooops. When i replied the first time i thought you were using a wired connection. I know understand it to be wireless, correct?

2) Have you checked to see if any firmware upgrades are available for your router? And what is the exact make/model of the router?

3) Are the computer and router in the same room? Is the signal unobstructed line-of-sight or what? If firmware change doesn't help, move your computer next to the router and see if the proximity has any affect

correct it is wireless, all upgrades on my sky router (came from my isp) are done overnight, it is up to date, proximity does nada. :-( and my wireless laptop has no problem at all connecting to it, nor my wired downstairs desktop.

Well now we know it's 64-bit and wireless issue I would always try to force it. But never mind.

so far

Okay to sum up I now have vista installed and the issue is my wireless card is faulty as I can connect via rj45 and browse, and my laptop can connect so I'll get a new card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back