Half-Life 2 benchmarks revealed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PreservedSwine

This stuff has already been posted in the hl2 thread.

Those tests weren't using nvidias dx9 tuned drivers, so its a bit premature to gloat. Here are some alternative benchmarks using the detonator 50s that will soon be released ...

am3-results.jpg

You mean the DET. 50's that also use:

-Camera path-specific occlusion culling
-Visual quality tradeoffs
-e.g. lowered filtering quality, disabling fog
-Screen-grab specific image rendering
-Lower rendering precision
-Algorithmic detection and replacement
-Scene-specific handling of z writes
-Benchmark-specific drivers that never ship
-App-specific and version specific optimizations that are very fragile

And revert many PS2.0 operations back to PS1.4? Read nVidia's own words:
Rel. 50 driver will be public before the game is available. Since we know that obtaining the best pixel shader performance from the GeForce FX GPUs currently requires some specialized work, our developer technology team works very closely with game developers. Part of this is understanding that in many cases promoting PS 1.4 (DirectX 8) to PS 2.0 (DirectX 9) provides no image quality benefit. Sometimes this involves converting 32-bit floating point precision shader operations into 16-bit floating point precision shaders in order to obtain the performance benefit of this mode with no image quality degradation.
http://www.driverheaven.net/articles/aquamark3/index3.htm

http://www.techreport.com/

Also, read DH's report on Aqua-MArk3 and the DET50's in testing w/ aquamark3, a BENCHMARK:

their conclusion about the DET. 50's
Now, im sure most of you have read Gabes recent comments regarding the detonator 51.75s, and Nvidia's offical response but I really do have to say, having seen this first hand it confirms to both myself and Veridian that the new detonators are far from a high quality IQ set. Alot of negative publicity is currently surrounding Nvidia, and here at driverheaven we like to remain as impartial and open minded as we possibly can, but after reading all the articles recently such as here coming from good sources and experiencing this ourselves first hand, I can no longer recommend an nvidia card to anyone. Ill be speaking with nvidia about this over the coming days and if I can make anything public I will.
I don;t see how a driver set that dumbs down IQ in a benchmartk can be used in a valid fashion for comarisons..kind of defeats the puprose, don't you think?

Another conclusion from 3DGPU
The Detonator 51.75 drivers loses even more details over the 45.33 drivers. Especially note how the green on the foreground landrover is darker than the other two shots. Now, these drivers are beta, and not available to the public, so let's hope by the time they're released, the lowered image quality won't be in them. Because frankly, I'm just shocked how much better the Radeon 9800 Pro looks over the new Detonator 50 drivers on a GeForce FX 5600 Ultra, and any self-respecting gamer will choose the image quality on the Radeon 9800 Pro anyday.
http://www.3dgpu.com/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=74&page=0

How about other develpers, and what they think?

Lead Developer of Silent Hill Speaks out.

Yesterday I went to Mojo Reloaded (ATI, MS and Intel game developer day) at Guildford. These events are always a combination of interesting presentations and catching up with the industry gossip. This one for me was far more gossip then prensentation, not that the presentations weren't interesting, My favs were the PRT/SH and non linear post-processing streaks (I'll give a better description in a minute). As this will be up on the web for some time its worth stating what day yesterday was, a day after the HL2 benchmarks were released.
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7873

Remember what nVidia did to futuremark when they published that nVidia was cheating.......I don't think they will succeed with VALVE in the same fashion, but they will try.....it's not drivers, it's poor hardware choices, what I've been trying to explain to you all along...not enough FP registers and a 4x2 design that operates like a 2x2 design in DX9

EDIT: If you're really inot the GPU side of compuiers, I'd suggest a visit to nVidia's fan website, www.nvnews.net and www.beyond3d.com... I think after reading from many of the developers @B3D, you'll understand the NV3X has made some very poor hardware choices for DX9 app's...they underestimated the amount of time b4 real DX9 apps would come, and underestimated the R300 core....and it's dedicated FP registers

now off to find the HL2 thread..this has been about the only part of the forum I visit:)

yeah and the 9800 pro still is faster :D. i'm happy i got the 9800pro lucky i didn't have the money for the 5900:)

*sniff* I still love NVIDIA :(

I'm a fan boy...i can admit that, and although, I know the Radeon 9800Pro is by far and away the best card avail...I'm still gonna wait, I aint owned in ATI card a 32Mb Rage card I used to have... before that, i was a big 3DFX man :) and I wouldnt leave them til they went either :(

Now that's what I call loyalty. The thread starter is also a fanboy, but its ATI that he likes. [I can just hear the flaming about to start :=)]

Originally posted by Nic
Now that's what I call loyalty. The thread starter is also a fanboy, but its ATI that he likes. [I can just hear the flaming about to start :=)]

Nic, as soon as nVidia makes the better card, that's what I'll buy. You'll find no loyalty to a piece of computer hardware on this end.

Instead of name-calling, try focusing on features and performance...

~swine

im with greeno - im a big nvidia fan - and before 3dfx lost it I was a big 3dfx fan (ahh....my first 3d accelerator with OpenGL support - 3DFX Voodoo 3 2000 - quake 3 never looked so good!)
im really not sure what to do - i need a new graphics card for HL2 and Doom 3 and i dont want to leave nvidia - but it looks like i might have 2 - but it would be awful to think ATi won an big nvidia fan over.....

Steg

Steg: You can always wait for nv40 to come out :=). HL2 will still be there for you when you are ready for it.

Originally posted by PreservedSwine
Instead of name-calling, try focusing on features and performance...
~swine
Ok. Your performance was amazing, and your features, I can't see from here. :D

I was a big nvidia fan for years never even considered ATI as being even a reasonable choce for a video card. while I do play games I watch more DVD's than I do game playing and ATI's DVD playback is superb.

my affection for Nvidia ended with the Geforce4 line of cards which are still good cards and are a better choice for someone who just has to have a Nvidia card. personally I would touch a FX series card with a ten foot pole.

man.. i bought a 5900 ultra a couple months ago and i feel so cheated.. yeah.. great.. it will run doom 3 awesome but whats the point of spending 500 bucks for one freakin game.. i know theres no way to fix this.. it would be cool if ATI had an offer where you could turn in your geforce FX for a radeon for 150.00 USD off of the purchase.. then they could make a giant mound of FX's and burn them as well as win a lot of converts.

Its nice to have people dedicated to a company.. but what nvidia has been doing is really wrong. We've been lied to and played for fools.. as is if nothing is done, or not REAL response other than the BS nvidia has been putting out, this nvidia fan (since the days of the TNT and TNT2) will be packing up, dealing with the 500 dollar loss and never look back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back