Halmacpi.dll/ntkrnlpa.exe BSODs on fresh Win 7 install

Galhast

Hi,

A bit of history:
I've been experiencing blue screens of death for over three months now. It all started when I installed an old ATI HD 4850 video card in a new computer and installed the related catalyst control center software/driver package. Over time after that install, I began to experience blue screens of death while playing certain games, such as League of Legends and Minecraft. It was occasional, and not too problematic, but as time went on they became more frequent. They would refer to the atikmpag.dll and atikmdag.dll files which are part of the Catalyst package, and upon researching a little further I found that these files were often responsible for causing BSOD's on otherwise problem free computers.

To make sure it wasn't memory related, rather than video card related, I ran memtest 86 multiple times. Each time I ran it (and left it overnight) it came up clean. I ran chkdsk /r a few times, also, and performed OS repairs to try to resolve the problem. Each time the problem would lessen temporarily, but then come back. As the BSOD's continued, I noticed they started to refer to the ntkrnlpa.exe file, but I brushed this aside, expecting this to be caused by the card also.

In the end, believing the problem to be solely caused by the video card I purchased a new video card, this time an nVidia GTX550 Ti, formatted the drive, and started over. This was a few days ago.

Two days after, starting yesterday, I've started to get BSOD's again. They are just as frequent and problematic as before, except now they refer to ntkrnlpa.exe, halmacpi.dll and kdcom.dll. The bug strings I've been getting include 'KERNAL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED' with the code 8e; 'IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_EQUAL' with the error code 0a; 'BAD_POOL_CALLER' with the code c2, and the latest one 'DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL' (c5). Every BSOD references these three files.

I've run memtest more times than I can count, each time it comes up clean. Every computer component is new (~6 months), except for an older non-system hard drive which is rarely used for anything. The OS is sparkling fresh, I haven't downloaded anything except League of Legends (thus removing viruses/spyware from the equation), all drivers are current, but the BSOD's continue. I've also run a full burn-in test, and that was clean, also.

What on earth could be causing it?

Ram: 4092mb dual-channel DDR2 533mhz
CPU: AMD Phenom 9350e Quad-Core 64-bit processor
Motherboard: ASRock N68-S
Graphics card: Leadtek Winfast GTX550 TI PCI-E
System drive: WDC WD50 00AAKX-003CA SCSI Disk device, 465GB
Non-system drive: WDC WD64 01AALS-00L3B SCSI Disk device, 596GB

USB device plugged in:
Saitek Cyborg V.3 Mouse
SideWinder X4 Keyboard
Logitech USB Headset
Logitech 1.3 megapixel Webcam

All parts are less than a year old except for the webcam and non-system drive.

One more thing, whenever I remove a stick of ram or replace one, the BSOD's stop for two days or so, then slowly start up, building up to 5+ bsods a day. I have the side of the case off with a small fan blowing into it to ensure it's not heating related.

Edit: Additionally, sometimes I hear short moments of the glitchy sound that comes with BSOD's when games are loading, and occasionally the system seems to freeze momentarily in periods of high activity. It 'feels' like the computer is about to experience a BSOD (it's characterised by both sound and freeze) but then continues as per normal afterwards. When using high CPU/HDD resources (such as copying large files), audio and video playback stutters as well, though I'm not sure if this is related.

I had a good look, but it doesn't appear that I can view DRAM voltage in the bios.

What voltages I could see, were:
Core voltage: 1.08v
3.3v: 3.38v
5v: 5.3v
12v: 12.2v

DRAM Voltage is in the bios under Advanced. You have to set it to manual then you can see and change the DRAM voltage

It's done, but I just experienced another couple of BSODs. IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_EQUAL (0a) and ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY (be), same files.

Go to Computer, right click on the C drive select properties, tools, check now, select both check boxes and run a check at next start up

Okay I did it, though I'm not sure how to access the results from the scan, it seemed to automatically restart afterwards without leaving any info on the screen. The system seemed to calm down for a few days (to be expected, as I've tried this before and that's what it did), but now it's blue screening again.

Seems I can't, in the browse window the 'Upload a file' button opens won't allow me to upload .dmp files.

Here's the gist of the last three:
1. Attempted_execute_of_nonexecutable_memory 0x000000fc, files in stack were ntkrnlpa.exe and nvlddmkm.sys
Also referenced were the files halmacpi.exe, kdcom.dll, mcupdate_AuthenticAMD.dll, PSHED.dll, BOOTVID.dll.

2. IRQL_not_less_or_equal 0x0000000a, in stack: amdppm.sys, halmacpi.dll, ntkrnlpa.exe.
Also referenced: kdcom.dll, mcupdate_AuthenticAMD.dll, PSHED.dll, BOOTVID.dll.

3. IRQL_not_less_or_equal 0x0000000a, in stack: amdppm.sys, halmacpi.dll, ntkrnlpa.exe, usbohci.sys, USBPORT.SYS.
Also referenced: kdcom.dll, mcupdate_authenticAMD.dll, PSHED.dll, BOOTVID.dll.

Have you made sure you have the latest chipset drivers for the motherboard. "amdppm.sys" is a CPU driver. The other drivers point to general Windows instability are there any yellow exclamation points in the device manager?

I think the board has an Nividia chipset, so download this driver:
[FONT=Arial]NVIDIA all in 1 driver ver:15.37[/FONT]

Back