TechSpot

Halo: Reach review: A beautiful beginning for a wonderful end

By Julio Franco
Sep 15, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Halo: Reach isn't the beginning, it's the end. Sure, Microsoft might continue

Read the whole story

2. Does running the game in 720p instead of 1080p help the slow down?

3. RealXboxMaster

RealXboxMaster TS Rookie Posts: 139

Doesn't matter wether you set it on 720 or 1080. Both modes were programmed into the game. It all has to do what the Grafix crd can handle and the way the code was written and optimized for the 360dev kit.

4. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 737   +31

Does the split screen coop mode in 2 player have the same catastrophic black bars at the side of the screen on a normal widescreen telly to maintain the aspect ratio?

Bungee have been unable to optimise the Halo engine on 360 to the point where they have rendered lower than 720 then upscaled (halo3) and the black bar thing is just awful. If you have a 50inch telly then you can get away with it but on my 26inch Hd telly its unacceptable - not even an option to turn it off. Just put up or shut up.

5. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 737   +31

or play the game squished at 4:3 mode. otherwise you lost 1/3 of your screen real estate to their bad programming otherwise they would be able to render it full screen. Sounds like this time they couldnt even optimise the single player. There are plenty of great looking games out there that don't slowdown. Maybe the next halo games will be programmed better :)

6. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TS Maniac Posts: 482   +8

My friend and I just beat this on co-op last night. We both loved it. I can't wait to try out the new Firefight modes including gruntpocolypse. Truly a great last Halo game for Bungie. The way this game was put together made me wish they were going to at least be involved in the next and as always I wish the game was longer ;)

7. Looks like a fitting farewell for Bungie, the poor old 360's hardware really is beginning to show it's age by the looks of things. Halo Reach aint no Crysis. Probably would have looked better on PS3.
    Please port it to PC Bungie!

8. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

I'll admit, as a former Halo fan, the game is quite decent even though it's just Halo rehashed yet again. I did like it though and at times it did remind me of the good old days of Combat Evolved. I think Bungie has done all they can with the franchise on the 360, so with that note I bid farewell to one of the most popular and respected game franchises of all time. I actuality I said goodbye a long time ago anyways :)

9. tengeta

tengeta TS Enthusiast Posts: 632

I ordered a copy tonight, I didn't bother with ODST so I figured I'd give this one a try. Not to mention I think its the first game I've bought in all of 2010.

10. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,475   +624

Didn't I see somewhere that Xbox 360 is good for another 2 years+? It was official statement too.

11. Zilliak

Zilliak TS Enthusiast Posts: 233

From my understanding the xbox has more graphics capability than the ps3. Xbox has a unified architecture that you find in graphics cards now days were as the play station is still using pixel pipelines.

12. The 360's graphics card is a dinosaur now, it's based off the old X1900 series GPU's. God help it if it has to chug along for another 3 years! No wonder they had to bring out that gimicky "Kinect" nonsense, they have to keep the fanboi's living in the past. Anyway the PS3 is based on the ancient Geforce 7800/7900 GTX so it is marginally better I suppose, but again thats not saying much.

13. your an ***** kinect is not nonsense it is the newest and best technology availible for the xbox 360 or any console

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.