Happy birthday: Apple Macintosh turns 30 today

By Jos
Jan 24, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. It was January 24, 1984 when a young Steve Jobs first introduced the original Macintosh and dazzled the crowd with a display of its graphics capabilities, myriad of fonts and text-to-speech support. This was the first mass-market personal computer featuring...

Read more
  2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,333   +381

Thanks for making me feel really, REALLY old. ;)
  3. I dont like apple products in general but still, respect to the Mac for life
  4. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,180   +511

My first computer was a Mactintosh that I got in 1995, it was used and only had a 50mhz processor but it was fun. Its the only Apple computer I ever owned because after that I went to PC for the rest of my life (Though I have an iPhone and I love it). Happy Birthday Mactintosh!
  5. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,853   +889

Happy Birthday Apple Macintosh!
  6. I got turned on to the mac in 1988 when I got a Mac II at work (for serious programming in LISP and C and writing articles). Very impressive. Remember, in '88, everyone worked on DOS. There was no Windows 3 yet (and Windows 1 and 2 never got off, at least not here). The only comparable system was the Atari ST. The mac was expensive, but the graphical freedom it gave programmers was amazing, and with a laser printer (shared via an absurd long cable with a VAX) our articles written in MS Word looked almost typeset.
    SNGX1275 likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.