TechSpot

Happy Birthday: GSM turns 20 today

By Emil
Jul 1, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Global System for Mobile Communications, originally Groupe Spécial Mobile, (GSM) is a standard that describes technologies for 2G cellular networks. On July 1, 1991, Finnish Prime Minister Harri Holkeri made…

Read the whole story

2. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,577   +47

My first mobile phone was a Motorola GSM. It was so big i had to carry it around in its own bag.

3. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,062   +77

Earlier on we had AIMS based mobiles here, and they came with one big shoulder bag to lug them around, which meant, people who could afford a secretary to do so would buy it. Anyway, later on when GSM became much more common and mobile sets became 'more reasonable' in sizes, I decided to have one and it was guess what ........... a Nokia.

4. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,577   +47

I've always liked the Nokia phones, having something that's made a little closer to home. It's a shame they've been sort of squeezed out with all the new 'smart' phones.

Everyone had Nokia phones when i was coming through school; i had the 5110, then the 3210 (loved that one), and then the 3310 which i still have in my draw to this day.

5. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

My first GSM phone was a Nokia. I think the model number was 1610 and it used an NiMH battery which was heavy and didn't last long. However, it was much lighter than our previous analog phone which was the size of a small army field radio and was pretty heavy to lug around :).

6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,474   +329

GSM is the World Phone capability - - ie: large portion of the world uses this technology over the U.S. domestic CDMA and TDMA services. If your device is
    not locked to a provider, then ANY SIM card can be used and away you go!
    It was a delight to use my GSM in Europe and watch the Welcome messages arrive as we travelled in the EU Zone :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.