TechSpot

Happy Birthday: The Legend of Zelda turns 26 today

By Shawn Knight
Feb 21, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A game that needs no introduction, about 26 years ago Nintendo released the first game in a series that would become one of the most iconic franchises in the company’s…

Read the whole story

2. The game was released August 22, 1987 in the USA and later on that year in Europe, so it will be 25 in the states later on this year.

Best console game ever.... ah the memories.

3. And yes the game is really 26 years old, released in Japan in 2-21-86

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,704   +397

Cool. Iconic game music too. 26 years later and I can still remember most of the music in that game.

5. Crazy to think I played it when I was 8. Yikes!

6. il never forget throwing chickens down a well lmao

7. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,455   +606

Although Link will always be second to Mario in popularity, sales and overall impact to the gaming industry, it was games like Zelda that started to push the envelope and we as gamers should be forever grateful.

8. this article means Zelda is as old as I am. hmmmm....... Wonder if the princess is single? -sends message through mylife.com-

9. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,929   +186

Wow, 26 years?
    You make me feel very old :)

10. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,704   +397

I was a little over 5.5 years old when it came out. But it was another 5+ years before I could play it when I wanted. My parents made me buy my Nintendo, so at whatever lowly allowance they gave me it took a long time to save up enough to purchase one. And even then I didn't have my own copy of Zelda. It wasn't until I was about 25 before I got my very own copy of Zelda, the gold cartridge, bought it off ebay.

11. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Maniac Posts: 816   +231

That depends... what is the princesses name?

12. DanUK

DanUK TS Booster Posts: 211   +9

Ocarina of Time on the N64 is still one of the best games i've ever played!

13. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,951   +162

Link to the past will always have a special place in my gaming heart, never really got into the other zeldas a whole lot. I was like 3 when the first one came out, I played duck and the first few levels of mario because the castle level scared me with all that lava or so the story goes.

14. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,181   +528

If I remember correctly, Zelda was the first game to actually have a composer do the game music. Instead of the programmers just making up a beat that sounds neat.