TechSpot

Happy Birthday: Wikipedia turns 10 today

By Emil
Jan 15, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Wikipedia, the online encyclopedia that anyone can edit, first launched on January 15, 2001. Today, the website is thus 10 years old. To celebrate its 10th anniversary, Wikipedia is hosting some 400 conferences and parties across the globe. In traditional Wikipedia style, the events are being organized by its community of users.

Read the whole story

2. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

And I hope that it keeps growing for another decade.

3. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

That face, its everywhere!

4. AnonymousSurfer

AnonymousSurfer TS Enthusiast Posts: 329   +18

I think wikipedia has done an outstanding job over the past few years in monitoring the content that is posted on their website. Congratulations to them on their 10 year anniversary, and I hope that it keeps growing and growing.

5. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

Without any hesitation, I would firmly say Wikipedia is THE perfect example of what to do with the Internet.

6. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

Amen to that. Even if trekkie monster argues differently.

7. Indeed. :)

8. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

I didn't even know who the trekkie monster was, until I hit up Wikipedia.

Though now that I know, I don't believe I can still say it as firmly. ;)

9. don't worry. PR flacks are rushing to pay 'regular contributors' to wikipedia.

just look at elance.com

soon, since Jimmy is too cool to pay 'real' editors, his creation will be overrun
    with shills and tools being payed to write utter corporate bullshit

10. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,570   +338

+1

11. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,356   +402

Donated a few bucks to Wikipedia during their recent fund-raiser. I check out that website at least a half-dozen times a week and felt completely obligated to help them out considering how much I use Wikipedia. No ads, and absolutely the best non-biased information. Hopefully they can keep their integrity and no-ads site going for another 10 years.

12. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,576   +47

Yeah, +1 to that. Happy Birthday Wikipedia, love the site.

I think i must have read nearly every entire page on wikipedia..It's definitely a hub of knowlage that will be passed on for generations [Citation needed]

13. DarkCobra

DarkCobra TS Rookie Posts: 79

Wikipedia alone justifies the purchase of a computer. Happy Birthday old friend and job well done!

14. TECHwizard

TECHwizard TS Rookie

seeing as it is made entirely from volunteers that is an amazing accomplishment, it is was recently ranked 8th of the most used websites, (i found this out on wikipedia =D)
    congrats on 10th

15. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

So precise and factual that most universities don't allow it for citation!

16. "So precise and factual that most universities don't allow it for citation! "

And it's well referenced by an increasing number of papers published by the ACM or IEEE :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.