Happy Birthday: Wikipedia turns 10 today

Emil

Staff

Wikipedia, the online encyclopedia that anyone can edit, first launched on January 15, 2001. Today, the website is thus 10 years old. To celebrate its 10th anniversary, Wikipedia is hosting some 400 conferences and parties across the globe. In traditional Wikipedia style, the events are being organized by its community of users.

After a decade of growth, Wikipedia is an important source of information for millions of topics and remains among the Internet's top 10 most visited sites. It has over 400 million readers each month and has a very small budget for a website its size: just $20 million. Almost all its revenue comes from donations. In its last fundraising push, the organization saw 500,000 users donate $16 million.

At this point, Wikipedia has some 17 million articles. The top 10 languages on Wikipedia, by number of articles, are as follows:

1. English: 3,526,000 articles
  2. German: 1,174,000 articles
  3. French: 1,054,000 articles
  4. Polish: 765,000 articles
  5. Italian: 762,000 articles
  6. Japanese: 727,000 articles
  7. Spanish: 699,000 articles
  8. Russian: 648,000 articles
  9. Portuguese: 666,000 articles
  10. Dutch: 664,000 articles

Wikipedia co-founder Jimmy Wales is aiming to have 1 billion visitors each month by the year 2015. To achieve this, Wales will need to acquire more regular contributors, which has always been a problem for the company. Wikipedia is currently working on simplifying its tools to make it easier for more people to contribute, including a WYSIWYG editor that can be easily picked up by those who aren't necessarily tech savvy.

Permalink to story.

I think wikipedia has done an outstanding job over the past few years in monitoring the content that is posted on their website. Congratulations to them on their 10 year anniversary, and I hope that it keeps growing and growing.

Without any hesitation, I would firmly say Wikipedia is THE perfect example of what to do with the Internet.

Lawfer said:
Without any hesitation, I would firmly say Wikipedia is THE perfect example of what to do with the Internet.

Amen to that. Even if trekkie monster argues differently.

Princeton said:
Lawfer said:

Amen to that. Even if trekkie monster argues differently.

I didn't even know who the trekkie monster was, until I hit up Wikipedia.

Though now that I know, I don't believe I can still say it as firmly. ;)

don't worry. PR flacks are rushing to pay 'regular contributors' to wikipedia.

just look at elance.com

soon, since Jimmy is too cool to pay 'real' editors, his creation will be overrun
with shills and tools being payed to write utter corporate bullshit

Donated a few bucks to Wikipedia during their recent fund-raiser. I check out that website at least a half-dozen times a week and felt completely obligated to help them out considering how much I use Wikipedia. No ads, and absolutely the best non-biased information. Hopefully they can keep their integrity and no-ads site going for another 10 years.

Lawfer said:

Yeah, +1 to that. Happy Birthday Wikipedia, love the site.

I think i must have read nearly every entire page on wikipedia..It's definitely a hub of knowlage that will be passed on for generations [Citation needed]

seeing as it is made entirely from volunteers that is an amazing accomplishment, it is was recently ranked 8th of the most used websites, (i found this out on wikipedia =D)
congrats on 10th

"So precise and factual that most universities don't allow it for citation! "

And it's well referenced by an increasing number of papers published by the ACM or IEEE :)

Back