Happy Birthday: Windows 95 turns 17 today

By Shawn Knight
Aug 24, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. There's been a ton of talk with regards to Windows 8 and what it will mean for the PC industry moving forward but as we look ahead, it can be equally as important to look back at where we've been……

Read more
  2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,319   +370

Thanks for making me feel old... ;)
    Julio Franco likes this.
  3. Vicenarian

Vicenarian TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 100   +9

Good ol' Windows 95!
  4. God I miss the 90's!
  5. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,573   +47

Brings back some good memories.
  6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,285   +281

7. peperonikiller

peperonikiller TechSpot Member Posts: 75

I use to have my win95 key memorized, now I only remember my winXP key
  8. yRaz

yRaz TechSpot Booster Posts: 857   +75

One more year and it'll be legal
  9. Littleczr

Littleczr TechSpot Booster Posts: 368   +68

What do you mean?
  10. yRaz

yRaz TechSpot Booster Posts: 857   +75

<17 = pedophilia
  11. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,765   +1,427

17 in OS years equals ancient.

I wish I could say prehistoric but then you wouldn't have known to start an article if that was so.

12. ibi828

ibi828 Newcomer, in training

haha you want to have sex with an operating system LOLXD!!!!
  13. Loads of bloatware: MSN Network, Compuserve, AOL, Internet Explorer (who needs that thing called a browser?), a Start Button. I'm going back to Windows 3.11 !
  14. Bring back Dos and XTree Gold:D
  15. Windows 95, especially 95, and Netscape, were the two single most important, game-changing "apps" in the history of technology. Both are largely the foundation of consumer computing we all know and utilize to this day.
  16. hood6558

hood6558 TechSpot Booster Posts: 292   +44

Like your first lover, you never quite forget your first OS, how it opened up a whole new world, and life hasn't been the same since. Win95 was my first and only love, and we would never part. But no, fate brought Win98 my way and I was weak and taken in by her charms. Alas, it happened again and again, a couple brief affairs with Linux, but always back to my newest Microsoft lover, until just recently I found out that the new OS was really a ***** in disguise. Now my heart is forever pledged to Win7, until death do us part, or the collapse of civilization, whichever comes first. Or until Win9 if it's any good.
  17. Camikazi

Camikazi TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 329   +56

It's the fickle relationship we all have with Operating Systems, we pledge to always love the one we have but that only lasts until the new one walks by.
  18. DjKraid

DjKraid TechSpot Maniac Posts: 611   +14

D: is it really that old already...I remember the good old days when it was brand new :)

19. coldsoda

coldsoda Newcomer, in training

Thats my daughter your talking about.
  20. Zen

Zen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 938   +43

[​IMG]

I have very fond memory's of cutting my technology teeth on Windows 95!

Funny thing is the more I look at the Windows 95 logo, the more it looks like the new Microsoft logo, which was now spun off the Windows 8 logo. If you take out the slight bends in the logo's image and remove the little tail thing you've got the new Microsoft logo. I guess the old analogy is correct........"the more things change, the more things stay the same"!

Happy Birthday Windows 95!
  21. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,765   +1,427

Sorry couldn't resist.
    Does you daughter sound like this every time she enters the room?
  22. James Jones

James Jones Newcomer, in training

I remember standing around in the parking lot of CompUSA, then fairly new in Des Moines, until midnight, hoping that I would win a copy of Windows 95 so I could make a point of stomping it to pieces on the curb in front of everyone.
  23. coldsoda

coldsoda Newcomer, in training

lol as a matter of fact yes. she does.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.