Hard disk failure? 45 minutes+ to boot up!

I've tried a lot of things over the last few days to no avail, hoping to gain the help of someone with exceptional computer knowledge, baring in mind I'm not that savvy with OS.

Had a virus (antivir pro solution) managed to delete that, which lowered my boot time dramatically albeit still operating slow. It hangs at the Bios screen for a good 5mins then after the microsoft window loading bar, it'll take another 20+mins to get to the user accounts screen. Once signed into my account, windows explorer I think it is doesn't load up for a good 20mins+ (start button, desktop programs, toolbar)

A point to note is that the window for task manager crashes when I attempt to open 'my computer' although every other folder doesn't.

The f*** is going on? lol.

Honestly off-hand it does sound like a failing hard disk (although you could still have some malware in there). Can you run chkdsk on the drive? (Right click the hard drive C: in Windows Explorer, Properties, Tools tab, Check Now button, both options, rebootski )

See how that turns out.

Appreciate the quick reply.

I've run Chkdsk twice, nothing there - I've checked for malware using malwarebytes & Norton Anti still no changes and in the end I ended up reformatting my OS and it still takes on average 45minutes to boot up.

Tried CCleaner also for registry cleaning, deleteing PF files and disabling start up programs......

So..... lol

Back