hard disk failure?

By helgaliz
Nov 5, 2005
  1. Hello,
    My computer no longer boots up to the C drive. I ran the powermax diagnostic with the following results:
    Bios Extension Support failed
    Partition Information Read fail
    Smart Enable Function Failed
    Power connection, Master/slave jumpers, and interface cable passed the powermax installation confirmation test. I ran the powermax basic quick test and then the advanced test once. Now even those two tests won't run anymore.
    I tried to run fdisk/mbr, but the system cannot find the hard disk. What puzzles me is that when powermax diagnostics scanned for the drive, it found "via 596 primary master Maxtor N40P" .
    The drive seemed to be working fine before I opened an attachment to an email. After the system froze I rebooted and had trouble with error messages (don't remember all of them). I tried to reinstall Windows XP but it cannot find the hard drive. I can boot to the A drive and to the CD drive. I tried to go from the A drive to the C drive, but it cannot find the C drive.
    Can anybody help me to solve the problem?
    Is all my data lost?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
  2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

Try posting in the correct forum, and you might get some more attention

:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:
  3. helgaliz

helgaliz TS Rookie Topic Starter

What is the correct forum. I am new to this. Thank you for responding.
  4. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

This is the correct forum, I moved it for you. Now we just sit back and wait for an answer :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.