Hard Disk not recognized on Windows but does on Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hedon

hi there,

recently had a crash and i could not install windows as the harddisk was not detecting. I attached another harddisk and after the installation blue screen it says "windows does not recognize hardware...etc..etc"

however after installing Linux (Ubuntu) it works the OS loads, but when windows is installed again i get the same message.

what might be the problem (i have tried different jumper settings as well)???

What's it formatted as? NTFS? Ext3? FAT?

What do you mean by "couldn't install windows"?

Are you saying that you tried to install windows on a hard drive and it didn't work, but it DID install linux? Or on a different partition? And you get the error message after booting into windows? Attempting to boot into windows?

It sounds to me like a faulty Partition
Obviously any Linux bootCD does not need to use the currently installed partition so has no issue booting

You can read here on installing your Windows clean, and removing the partition in the process https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic123957.html

Not long to wait for answers here ;)

during my first attempt to install windows (as the hard was installed to another system and i had to remove it and install to the faulty system) i formatted the available partition. when after the blue screen windows told me that it does not recognize the hardware, i tried linux on it and it was installed. Then again i tried to install windows (after formatting) but i still got the same error.

it is a Maxtor harddrive and it was formatted for NTFS during windows installation.

hope this explains it?

I did remove partition but i think its a driver issue as it is a HP PC, i might be wrong though

ok thanks a lot for your support and will get back if this doesnt work.

here is the message i get on my first screen

"Auto-Detecting First Channel Device 0..IDE Hard Disk
Auto-Detecting Second Channel Device 0..ATAPI CDROM
Auto-Detecting Second Channel Device 1..not detected
Sec Master: TSSTcorpCD/DVDW TS-H652L 0603
Ultra DMA Mode-2
Primary Master Drive - ATAPI Incompatible
Press F1 to resume"

then it goes to the BIOS setup and when i am done goes back to this screen.

what am i doing wrong?

Just plug in 1 Hard Drive and 1 Cd\DVD Drive and try again
Note: the easiest way to remove extra Hard drives is by disconnecting the data cable to it, (and to the motherboard if this is not daisy chained from your Primary Hard drive)

Try to make things simple when installing Windows ;)

Also note that your ATA Hard drive should have the tiny jumper set to CS (Cable Select) and should have its own data cable.

Hard drive issues

I joined this forum because I thought that advice given wasn't very helpful. So here's my take on this issue:

The reason the HD isn't showing up/installable in Windows is because there is a list of known drivers of HDs and if yours is not compatible, there won't really be a way of getting it to show up. My secondary HD is not recognized by my Vista install no matter what I do. I've tried upgrading the firmware for my HD and my motherboard and fooling with BIOS but still, not even the manufacturer's drive discovery tool picks up my HD. Some have found that Windows sometimes classifies the HD not as a disk, but as a USB controller, automatically disabling the drive. If this is the case, you can easily enable it in your device manager, but of course, you have to have windows installed on another physical drive.

Some have found that if you open up the cd your hd came with and go to the folder 'bootdrv' you can copy the 'msm32' or 'msm64' file (depending on 32 bit or 64 bit windows) and paste them on a thumbdrive with no other folders or subdirectories. Then, when installing Windows, it asks you for the SATA drivers, you can just plugin the drive and install them off of that. This works for some, but as I mentioned earlier, not for most.

If I were you, I would get a cheap drive and dual boot Ubuntu/Windows with it, using the drive that doesn't work in Windows as a storage drive in Ubuntu. Also, if you've found a better solution, please post it. I'd love to hear it!

@Berryjiveuptwn5, thanks a lot for your explanation. I was able to get it set with playing around with the jumper settings. however I still have one drive which is still undetectable. I will try your method and post on any outcomes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back