Hard disk not recognized?

BlackScarlet

I have a hard disk that I want to clone my C drive to, and I connected it via USB external; it showed up fine, I formatted it. However, since XP doesn't recognize boot drives through USB I wanted to attach it internally before I cloned my system drive over for when I do a boot test.

However, the drive that showed up just fine through USB isn't showing up when I plug it into the MB. It is recognized and is powering up, because when the system posts, the initial screen shows it is connected, and it gets warm after a few minutes, so it's working and the system can detect it, it is just not showing up in Windows.

I checked, and it's set to Slave.

What's the problem?

When you say windows doesn't see it, do you just mean it does not show up in My Computer or does it not show up in Disk Management either?

If it is just My Computer that you have checked, this could be because it is not formatted, or not formatted properly, or has no Drive Letter assigned to it.

To check Disk Management, go to Start > right click my computer > Manage. In the left hand side go to Disk Management. See if the hard drive shows up in there.

If it is there, but has no drive letter, right click it and assign one, or just do another quick format since it has already been formatted.

Back