TechSpot

Hard disk partition creation problem

By kautilya0
Aug 13, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. hello,
    yesterday, i was running on a windows xp service pack 2 and i wanted to install windows 7 ultimate. So i formatted drive c and tried to install windows 7. Amidst installation, it opens a "drive manager" like thing which allows to create, delete, format, combine a partition and also where to install windows 7. I dont exactly know what did i do but i deleted two of my partitions (one 20 and other 10gb). Ideally, when i delete two or more drives they appear as a single "unallocated space". But yesterday they appeared as two distinct spaces. Then, i partitioned them and formatted them using ntfs file system. In front of one there was "primary", and in other "extended" was written. When I tried to install in the extended one, it failed and i deleted that drive. So i installed it in former one...but now, it is not able to create a partition in that unallocated space.

My hard disk is a 160gb seagate and i also ran some tests and zero resets on the hdd using seagate tools. The hdd passes all the things successfully but i m still having that problem. Somebody please help.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.