Hard Dive Partition Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaMOOseMAn

Hi, I have a question about partitioning. I have a Seagate 160 gig 7200 rpm hardrive. Currently its partitioned into two drives one is 128 gigs and the other with 21 gigs. I want to regain some of that lost gigs and maybe make it into one drive. I have a software that can repartition hardrives. But i wanted to know if i do partition, will i lose any of my data i have saved on the harddrive.

A lot of guys swear by PartitionMagic and it can change partitions without losing Data ,but you should always backup before attempting such a major task.
I do not use this type of software,because it remains in the MBR/Windows services, etc. and in my experience ,can come back to haunt you.
I prefer to use basic partitioning programs .Just an opinion.
If that HDD is going to be your Primary ,are you sure you want to have just 1 Main partition?
It is always better to seperate you O/S from Data and Programs espeacially in a Windows box.Read this post...
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic16072.html
Either way Welcome to Techspot ,Good Luck

If you can boot to Windows .Look in Explorer for Winnt or Win98 (Depends on O/S) folder very large ,usuall on C:\

If you do not even know where your OS is located, I would strongly advise you to stay away from any partitioning software, or anything that is not standard Windows for that matter. No offense meant, but it is oh so easy to wreck a working system.

Changing partition-size or merging will not give you back any GBs anyway.

Liquidlen said:
If you can boot to Windows .Look in Explorer for Winnt or Win98 (Depends on O/S) folder very large ,usuall on C:\

The Default folder for most Windows installations will be C:\WINDOWS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back