Hard drive acting strange

D

Dalton

Just booted up my computer this morning and got the clicking and spin up and down sounds and the computer wouldn't load up and I kept restarting the computer and trying different things and it just stopped doing it and booted up perfectly fine. My hard drive is a Western Digital and when it was acting strange it said on the post screen that it was a WDC HAWK 10.0 and some other numbers and it never said that before. What could this mean? Why would the hard drive do this and post a weird model name and then go back to the right name and work fine like no issues at all? Event viewer gives no errors and disk check made some corrections to the file system and that's about it. Is the hard drive failing?

Likely. login as admin and run CHKDSK C: /F /R
it will require a reboot to run and it will take a L O N G time to complete the five stages

Did that already and there were no errors and I even ran a test with the Western Digital Diagnostics Utility and did a quick and extended test with no errors but when I checked the properties of the drive in the diagnostics utility it said warning under health status but don't get why no errors are being detected anywhere. 2nd Sata hard drive now doing this. Not installing a raid driver for the hard drive wouldn't cause it would it? One more thing to mention that I have a rocketfish PSU and heard some bad things about them and wonder if that could be giving me trouble. Lately some things seem to freeze up or stall like even when I went to the properties of drive c: then in tools to the area to setup for disk checking. Not sure why these drives are failing.:confused:

If you haven't done so already it's time to buy a new hard drive and clone your old drive to it just in case it fails.

Will get another one as soon as I can, hopefully I can find a good sized one again. Thanks for the replies!

Back