Hard Drive ATA100/ATA133, much difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference is 33...

Sorry, i couldn't resist...LOL

Actually, from what i've heard, there isnt much difference at all. Just a small performance jump, and that becomes negligible if you buy a 7,200rpm ATA100...

The difference in interface speed isn't going to be noticed at all, as both ATA-100 and ATA-133 are faster that current hard drives.

However, as for the controller on your mainboard, ATA-100 controllers can normally only support hard drives up to around 137GB, whereas ATA-133 can support sizes that are 100,000 times larger (144PB).

Ah, well I figured it was just a transfer speed as far as the IDE cables. So if I get this hard drive, does it matter if I use a ATA133 cable or do I have to use a ATA100 cable?

Thats exactly what it is - tansfer speed. ie: ata133 can move 33 more megs then ata100 ;) An ATA133 or ATA100 cable will work with your HD (backwards compatiblie). Just dont do what I did and realize 2 years later your HD is operating at ATA33 cuz of the cable your using :dead:

133 vs 100 should certainly not affect your HDD buying decision.

The performance is virtually identical.. The only difference might be a 100 HDD might be OLDER than a 133 HDD, which in turn means it is probably slower.. But this is not because of the interface speed.

When buying a new hard disk, look for large platters, fast RPMs and low seek times.

The cables between ATA66, 100, and 133 are the same unless it's Serial ATA.

LNCPapa

I normally go by hard drive size, and rpms. I am not going to buy anything less than 120GB 7200rpm. I actually thought about 10,000rpm at one time but I spoke to a Network Admin and he said it wouldn't really make a difference in games. Most of the difference he said would be in graphics and media applications.

There's really no noticeable difference between ATA 100 and ATA133. Technically, you have a fatter pipe from the HD. But a bottleneck still exists which more or less negates the 33Mbps performance gain.

In my opinion, it's not worth the price difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back