TechSpot

Hard Drive ATA100/ATA133, much difference?

By acidosmosis
Apr 17, 2003
  1. I am about to buy another hard drive (120gb). What is the difference between ATA100 and ATA133?

2. RustyZip

RustyZip TechSpot Paladin Posts: 418

The difference is 33...

Sorry, i couldn't resist...LOL

Actually, from what i've heard, there isnt much difference at all. Just a small performance jump, and that becomes negligible if you buy a 7,200rpm ATA100...

3. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,928

The difference in interface speed isn't going to be noticed at all, as both ATA-100 and ATA-133 are faster that current hard drives.

However, as for the controller on your mainboard, ATA-100 controllers can normally only support hard drives up to around 137GB, whereas ATA-133 can support sizes that are 100,000 times larger (144PB).

4. acidosmosis

acidosmosis TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 1,574

Ah, well I figured it was just a transfer speed as far as the IDE cables. So if I get this hard drive, does it matter if I use a ATA133 cable or do I have to use a ATA100 cable?

5. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,384   +15

Thats exactly what it is - tansfer speed. ie: ata133 can move 33 more megs then ata100 ;) An ATA133 or ATA100 cable will work with your HD (backwards compatiblie). Just dont do what I did and realize 2 years later your HD is operating at ATA33 cuz of the cable your using :dead:

6. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

133 vs 100 should certainly not affect your HDD buying decision.

The performance is virtually identical.. The only difference might be a 100 HDD might be OLDER than a 133 HDD, which in turn means it is probably slower.. But this is not because of the interface speed.

When buying a new hard disk, look for large platters, fast RPMs and low seek times.

7. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,333   +278

The cables between ATA66, 100, and 133 are the same unless it's Serial ATA.

LNCPapa

8. acidosmosis

I normally go by hard drive size, and rpms. I am not going to buy anything less than 120GB 7200rpm. I actually thought about 10,000rpm at one time but I spoke to a Network Admin and he said it wouldn't really make a difference in games. Most of the difference he said would be in graphics and media applications.

9. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Yes I agree, since those are the most demanding apps out there. They would also require the most memory, etc.

10. ßas']['arD

ßas']['arD TS Rookie

There's really no noticeable difference between ATA 100 and ATA133. Technically, you have a fatter pipe from the HD. But a bottleneck still exists which more or less negates the 33Mbps performance gain.

In my opinion, it's not worth the price difference.

11. acidosmosis

Thanks guys. I got the information I need now :). Much appreciated.

Woot! I just hit post #200 :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.