TechSpot

Hard drive bad sectors

By chase24
Dec 24, 2008
  1. i have a new cpu and already encountered a lot of problems. first, i downloaded some torrent overnight and i woke up the windows already crashed, i shut it down many times without knowing it could cause bad sectors. second, the cpu fell into the floor 1 ft. so also it could cause bad sectors. now the cpu is with the technician and he's scanning the hard drive for bad sectors and trying to recover my files and the os. my hard drive is 750 gb and the last time i spoke with my technician he told me that there's 15 gb of bad sectors and still scanning. now im worried if the bad sectors will eat most of my new hd.

am i into a serious problem that would cost me to buy a new hard drive? it's such a waste if i have to replace my hd which is new and has 750 gb.

is bad sectors still repairable by software?

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 21,058   +169

Your computer fell to the floor? Was it on at the time? Nowadays CPU means Central Processing Unit, a chip on the motherboard, not the whole computer... case and all

3. chase24

chase24 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 47

yeah the whole computer fell

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,514   +336

the shortest path to getting it running (and the lease expensive) is to
    toss the existing HD, get a new one and Clean install a new OS

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.