hard drive beep continusely

By i_need_answers
Mar 21, 2005
  1. my western digital 160gb h/d wont stop beepingon start-up and when its plugged in my master hard drive isn't recognized ad being there.... any help?
  2. patio

patio TS Maniac Posts: 482

Hard drives do not sounds like there is a problem with the MBoard or a BIOS setting.

patio. :cool:
  3. i_need_answers

i_need_answers TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 76

hi im sorry but i have to disagree my hard drive does beep or it makes some sort of noise related to making a distress signal and its getting pretty hot im not sure whats wrong but when i put my ear up to the hard drive i hear the noise is coming from it and you can hear it from 10-15 feet away. when I remove the hard drive the noise stops.
    im puzzled, i also had never heard of a hard drive beeping before this
  4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

What you hear are the final death throes of an ailing harddisk.
    Better get all data off it before it completely gives up the ghost!
  5. i_need_answers

i_need_answers TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 76

its a 160 gb hard drive oooo well i,ve only had it since december but i got it for really cheap ($30 us) is it unusual for a hard drive to die that fast?
    thanks for your help
  6. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Some HDs go for only a few weeks or months. Luck of the draw.
    Usually a HD should be good for up to 10 years, when the PC runs no more than 8 hours a day. About 3-4 years when continually running.
    My oldest still running HD is a 44MB (!) Seagate ST151 from I think 1987. It sits in an 'antique' Philips 286AT, running DOS, that runs maybe once or twice a year, when nostalgia hits me.

You should have warranty on that 160GB disk, try an RMA from the shop/manufacturer.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.