TechSpot

Hard drive burning smell

By sabanknight
May 14, 2009
  1. Ok I had a virus on my pc a few days ago and through my negligence I waited too long to run a full system check and on restarting the pc it wouldnt go into windows just a black screen with the mouse cursor. Anyway no big deal most of my stuff is saved on an external. So I pluged my hdd as a slave into another computer to run a virus scan it took out a lot of files and when I pluged it back it it had the same problem so I figured what the hell time for a fresh install anyways.

Now today I was going to xfer my files that I had on there to my external and pluged the gimped drive into a recently purchased enclosure (NSP-E525) upon firing it up the HDD began to make a lot of noise as it began to spin. thought it was just it starting up but then I smelt a electric fire smell and quickly shut it off. Upon inspection It was coming from the HDD. Just recently I tested it on my other pc installing it internally it imediatly began making the same noise so I shut down again.

What just happened... and is there any recovering?!

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Actually it's very strange. The Hard Drive is a sealed unit
    Are you sure nothing was touching it? But if its making a bad noise anyway, I's say it's shot, gone, ded, and done.

3. sabanknight

sabanknight TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 28

only problem is that other than being pluged into the enclosure nothing different had happened to it to just start making that noise.

4. kimsland

I have had many old, and some new Hard Drives fail

If it's under manufacture warranty please RMA it, (contact the Hard Drive Manufacture for this)

I have never had one smoke though :confused:

5. sabanknight

sabanknight TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 28

no smoke just a smell and honestly I can get another hard drive its the data I am concerned about I think some of my project files are still on there that I did not have a chance 2 move to my external and those are not replaceable.

As an extra note I figured what the hell and turned it on again made the noise no additional smell and it crashed at windows load screen when it was used as a slave.

6. kimsland

I usually tap it a few times, just to see if it'll kick in long enough to backup data (ok I drop it on the floor from about 1 to 2 feet :D)

Then plug it in via USB connection (ie this device: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002)

Then hope My Computer, shows the faulty Hard Drive to recover data

Hey I found an interesting page here, that shows pics info of faulty drives: http://www.harddrive-repair.com/

Also. Do not quote my entire post when you reply (you have done this every time) just press "Post Reply", no need to quote me anyway :(

IE Here VV

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.