Hard drive burning smell

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabanknight

Ok I had a virus on my pc a few days ago and through my negligence I waited too long to run a full system check and on restarting the pc it wouldnt go into windows just a black screen with the mouse cursor. Anyway no big deal most of my stuff is saved on an external. So I pluged my hdd as a slave into another computer to run a virus scan it took out a lot of files and when I pluged it back it it had the same problem so I figured what the hell time for a fresh install anyways.

Now today I was going to xfer my files that I had on there to my external and pluged the gimped drive into a recently purchased enclosure (NSP-E525) upon firing it up the HDD began to make a lot of noise as it began to spin. thought it was just it starting up but then I smelt a electric fire smell and quickly shut it off. Upon inspection It was coming from the HDD. Just recently I tested it on my other pc installing it internally it imediatly began making the same noise so I shut down again.

What just happened... and is there any recovering?!

Actually it's very strange. The Hard Drive is a sealed unit
Are you sure nothing was touching it? But if its making a bad noise anyway, I's say it's shot, gone, ded, and done.

only problem is that other than being pluged into the enclosure nothing different had happened to it to just start making that noise.

I have had many old, and some new Hard Drives fail

If it's under manufacture warranty please RMA it, (contact the Hard Drive Manufacture for this)

I have never had one smoke though :confused:

no smoke just a smell and honestly I can get another hard drive its the data I am concerned about I think some of my project files are still on there that I did not have a chance 2 move to my external and those are not replaceable.

As an extra note I figured what the hell and turned it on again made the noise no additional smell and it crashed at windows load screen when it was used as a slave.

I usually tap it a few times, just to see if it'll kick in long enough to backup data (ok I drop it on the floor from about 1 to 2 feet :D)

Then plug it in via USB connection (ie this device: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002)

Then hope My Computer, shows the faulty Hard Drive to recover data

Hey I found an interesting page here, that shows pics info of faulty drives: http://www.harddrive-repair.com/

Also. Do not quote my entire post when you reply (you have done this every time) just press "Post Reply", no need to quote me anyway :(

IE Here VV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back