Hard drive , cd-rom drive not detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

BegginerTech

Im not very experienced on these but Ill try to explain my problem as best as I can.

My problem is that my computer is not detecting my Hard Drive or my CD-ROM Drive. It was working properly until one day I started my computer and it said that the operating system was missing. I tried to open my CD-ROM and it wouldn't. So I checked on the bios and saw that all IDE primary and secondary said "NONE" I checked its properties and all were in "AUTO". Whats wrong. I disconected my IDE cables and reconected them. Have any clues?

Please some help

Do the hard drive and CD-ROM actually receive power? The CD-ROM drive should open and the hard drive should spin up when you turn on the computer. Try different power connectors. Try the the drives in another computer or with another PSU.

ok

I tried to connect them to different power connectors and still have the same result. I tried both of them on a different system and both worked. Do you think my problem is my Power Supply(wich I don't think because at least my computer starts and have access to Bios) or my bother board(the IDE controller)?

My bet is power supply as well.

Your motherboard has nothing at all to do with your ability to open the CDROM drive. technically speaking your cdrom drive would open as long as you have the correct voltage from the power supply applied to the drive. "Note i said "applied", your motherboard switch initates the power on and tells the power supply to apply power to the circuits."

I think you power supply is bad.

if you got a mutlmeter you can check power supply
there is away to jumper
I think it is momemtary contact of green and black wires,
you may want to check this first, to google on testing atx PSU
It does sound suspiciously like PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back