Hard Drive Clicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonNagual

I have a Maxtor 6Y080LO. It is an 80GB 7200rpm 8mb cache.

It regularly makes a loud CLICK sound. For example, if I open up MS word, ka-*****. Open exel, Ka-*****. CLose word, ka-*****.

I run the software provided by maxtor to test the HD and it says the drive has no errors.

I spoke with Maxtor and they said it sounds like a failed HD, so they replaced it. Now I have a new one, and the exact same problem. Any ideas? Should I get it replaced again?

Thanks in advance.

While strange sounds from a hard drive are a scary thing, not all the time does it mean a bad hard drive. There are certain drives (especially in laptops) which will make clicking sounds by design.

But for desktop drives? No.. I don't think so.

I've been in contact with thousands of drives and I can honestly say I've never seen a desktop drive that was MEANT to click.

I'd get it replaced a third time. The reason being that I have found no information on the Internet about this particular model making any funny sounds.. Which if it did, I'm sure there would be many many posts about it.

The chances of you getting a bad replacement drive isn't all that bad, either. It might sound like an impossibility, but the truth is both one of my friends and myself have gotten bad RMAed drives. My friend's from Maxtor... Mine from WD.

yep,

This sounds like you may have another bad HD, maybe the RMA''d drives came from a bad batch, but like Rick said I would get another drive

I have the same model HDD and the same clicking noise. The company that sold it to me tell me that other customers have reported the same issue. I too have downloaded Maxtor's diagnostics and the tests have come back clear. I'm told that Maxtor do not recognise this as a fault as the drive has not failed (yet......). I'm currently awaiting a decision as to whether Maxtor will swap it for another

Clicking is BAD.

My old HD gradually got "clicky" so I didn't really notice until...
"Cannot boot from HD"
New drive s i l e n t.

Sounds dodgy, back up everything, I lost heaps of music, progs etc. Write down all passwords etc.

Good luck :grinthumb

Originally posted by custard
I have the same model HDD and the same clicking noise. The company that sold it to me tell me that other customers have reported the same issue. I too have downloaded Maxtor's diagnostics and the tests have come back clear. I'm told that Maxtor do not recognise this as a fault as the drive has not failed (yet......). I'm currently awaiting a decision as to whether Maxtor will swap it for another

Maxtor switched mine once already, and have agreed to switch it again. Problem is I live in Japan so it is a major hassle. Will only do it if I HAVE to, but it sounds like I do.....:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back