Hard Drive deleting files

Status
Not open for further replies.

mke

Well hello,

I have a general enquiry about some 2-3 year old hd's I have at the moment that am in the process of cleaning up. Some of them contain like 100,000 of files in folders (e.g. i had backed up a music programs installation folder for the purpose to remember the apps and individual settings. Other contain random data, be it a movie, an mp3, a doc, programs, linux documents e.g c files... and many many other.
The thing is that when i select to delete the files/folders (not all together, but eg. 10 out of 100 folders and verify that i have all that i need from each), system may take upto 5-10 min to bring up the popup asking for the verification/confirmation to delete the files as they are too long/big for the recycle. This seems a bit odd, being that the files/folders sometimes are no more than 1-2 gig. One folder that contained 80,000 files at about 20 gig, took 10+ min to confirm for deletion. I would expect it on this case, but not on the smaller sized folders.
Is such an action normal? Also in many cases It comes with an error saying "Error Deleting file or folder : Cannot delete filename/folder" Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and the the file is not currently in use."

In normal days and cases, i wouldn't worry about something like this, but I was thinking that maybe the drive is starting to mailfuntion or not. The drives seem clean from viral infestation .. since i kinda trust avast+comodo antivirus software.
The other odd thing is that the drive also past manufactures test drive software and dont seem broken.

Any thoughts in this much appreciated. thanks

hmm you would thought i would have forgotten about this , but heck i run once a week a full defrag on all my drives. thankgod for O&O :)
btw i think there is something very wrong with the permissions set on 70% of the files on these drives. Some very odd entries like ownership to S4343-43468ig-something something. Seems like some are linked legitimately by audio software that i have installed. Others just plain odd.
Is there any good software (prefferably free) that will allow me to scan/check all drives and the file/folder permissions? I used to use midnight commander in the era of 95 i think, but that wouldn't help much in my search. either way any such software for this?
what about the other thing that is only suppported on the ntfs format, and can hide upto few gig's on hidden info. Can't remember the name of that , but supposably arbitrary code could be stored in that.
Either way, if anyone can recommend a decent software for that job, i'll buy em a pint if i ever see u in a pub as a thank u:)

thx

Have you checked the maximum space reserved for your Recycle Bin? Perhaps it is too small for some reason or you could just increase it temporarily.

that's right :)

Also don't defrag BEFORE, do that after you're done and AFTER run->cmd /k chkdsk /f

did u use 2 anti-virus at the same time???

some time it will cause pc to slowdown because of the active scan......

try to temporary shut down ur anti-virus and make sure u did not connect to internet when the time u do this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back