Hard Drive for Dell Inspiron 6000

Status
Not open for further replies.

munch2477

I believe my Dell Inspiron 6000 has Ultra ATA. I wanted to upgrade my hard drive since it is kind of slow but I basically just want a cheap and fast hard drive. Could anyone recommend one for me?

Also, would i be able to use a SATA hard drive on my laptop or would I have to stick to Ultra ATA? thanks

So you are saying SATA HDs will work with my Ultra ATA Laptop? It is compatible? That is my main worry.

Gotcha. So do they make PATA drives that are 7200rpm? I don't recall ever finding one, but i haven't really looked hard

Well you have to get the ones with the correct connectors, or else get an adapter... What is the Service Tag of your Dell?

That computer shipped with Windows XP, and a Hitachi EIDE 60 GB hard drive.
You can replace that drive with any hard drive up to 320 GB EIDE from any of a number of online retailers... You will find the Toshiba ATA6 to be superb, as will be the Seagate and Western Digital IDE or EIDE. I would avoid the Samsung, but if you get a Toshiba, Seagate, Western Digital that is 120 GB, 160GB or if you can find it, 250 GB, you will be happy and it will last twice as long as the Hitachi did... easy to replace... just put the new drive in the caddy that now holds the old Hitachi.
There is a manual online at Dell you can locate using that Service Tag number if you need a little guidance... But you are essentially removing two screws from the case, and four screws from the old hard drive, and replacing them when done. You need a small philips screw driver for the best work... a #1 or smaller.

Do you think it really matters between 5400 rpm and 7200 rpm? I was looking to get the fastest possible without paying too much money. I can't find a 7,200 rpm for less than $100. Do you think it would make that much of a difference?

There is a significant difference between usable speed between 5400 and 7200, but you will not really notice it in actual use.
The 5400 rpm has SIGNIFICANTLY longer life and reliability, and is often a lot less costly... you will replace the 7200 RPM drive twice as often. You will not regret getting the 5400 for that Inspiron 6000... just get one larger than the 60 GB that it came with originally... 80, 100, 120, 160, 250, or 320... but of them all, the 5400 RPM 80, 100, and 160 have the longest useful life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back