TechSpot

Hard drive icon has changed. How do I fix it?

By ingeborgdot
Apr 4, 2007
  1. I clicked on the my computer icon yesterday and noticed that the icon for one of my hard drives had changed to a different icon. It is the one that is like a piece of paper with the corner folded slightly and has another picture of a screen or whatever. It is the one you get when your computer doesn't know how to read it. It still opens fine but how do I change it to its original icon? I have xp pro.

2. Po`Girl

Po`Girl TS Rookie Posts: 595

From HERE

This happens due to any of the following reasons:

1.Presence of the file named Autorun.inf in the Drive's root folder (say C:\ )

2.Uninstallation of a third-party theme or an icon library has failed to remove the drive icon settings in the registry

RESOLUTION

Enable Windows to Show all files(Tools/folder options/view/) and then locate the file Autorun.inf and delete it from the root folder.
    Restart Windows.

If that does not help, try this:

Open Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) and navigate to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Windows\CurrentVersion \Explorer \DriveIcons \<drive>

Example:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Explorer\DriveIcons \C

Backup the key by exporting it as a REG file (right click/export).

After backing up the key, delete the <drive> key from the registry.

Navigate to the following key, backup and delete the <drive> key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \Applications \explorer.exe \ Drives\<drive>

Close Registry Editor and restart Windows.

3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

go to properties, change icon. Select the one you want or insert the one you want.

4. ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 433

Properties don't work here. It just brings up the box for tools, and other things. You can't do that with properties in the my computer folder. I fixed it anyway. I had to open hidden files and delete an autorun file. It worked after I restarted.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.