TechSpot

Hard-drive no longer recognised as a bootable option

By lolok12345
Nov 11, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hey all,

I was playing Black Ops when my Asus M60J suddenly shut down. At the time, my laptop was quite hot due to Black Ops' considerable usage. Upon starting up again, i received

"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device"

I checked out the booting order and there was only the option of booting from a DVD. I have tried holding down f8 to access the windows 7 inbuilt repairer but it was to no avail. Does this mean that my hard drive has possibly died out on me? I got the laptop in December last year.

As i bought my laptop with a copy of Windows 7 preinstalled, i am unable to use the Windows 7 DVD to repair it. At the bottom of my laptop, the Windows tag reads "Window Pro AO" but i am quite sure that my laptop is Home Premium, however i may be wrong.

Anyway, i would really appreciate any help and thanks in advance.

2. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 869   +8

if you laptop is still under warranty take it back to where you got it from.

3. lolok12345

lolok12345 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Okay thanks. Wow so the hard drives just died? I bought the laptop from a reseller and I've previously had to repair it due to similar booting issues. They said that past the first 2 weeks of warranty, that i had to give it to ASUS directly. Ive done this once before and i really wouldn't like to again. Is it possible to use a .ISO of windows 7 and run the repairs from there?