TechSpot

Hard drive noises on a new hard drive

By Maloos
Jan 27, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hello Techspot. So, yesterday I built a new computer with various parts from different internet stores. I assembled it and booted it up. When everything was done and I was configuring the windows updates I noticed a ''scratching''-like sound from the hard drive. I have no idea what it might be, it's a completely new Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black from inet.se ( a swedish site ). What might be the problem?

2. Punkid

Punkid TS Maniac Posts: 546

I have the same drive, a 1tb caviar black... the noise is normal for high performance drives...

3. Maloos

Maloos TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hmm, yeah I read some other posts about the caviar black 1tb. I guess I just have to get used to it. Thanks!

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,627   +321

Download a hard drive diagnostic utility. I like Seatools, but I'm sure Western Digital has their own. (Seatools will work on other branded drives).

If it passes a Long DST in Seatools you can be reasonably sure the drive is ok.

5. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

How loud is the drive? If it's got actual physical problems, the sound will make you pay attention, believe me.

6. Adele

Adele TS Rookie

Noise from hard drive is normal. If noise is too loud... get it checked by service provider.

7. compfixing

compfixing TS Rookie Posts: 43

It's normal unless you can still hear it outside the door.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.